Battling Thrush Support Thread - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In re: to the nausea comment.
Me too! I actually thought I was pregnant for awhile, but after a couple of negative pregnancy tests confirming NO.
Weird.

a mama asked what i was all i was doing to fight thrush:

first, i thought it was a bad latch b/c DD got 4 teeth in one week...oppps and ouch

2nd: after a month of this (my dd still has never shown any symptoms) i did gentian violet, nystatin, and homeopathy.
the GV really helped, but the first time i only took it for 3 days. and the next 7 days. i found that my thrush is really painful when it first attacks and then somehow it does not hurt as much (or i get used to it). ex. for the first month of thrush it really hurt, but then my right nip did not hurt and the thrush infected my left nip and it KILLED.
after doing a treatment of GV my right nip hurt 10xs more.

NOW
eliminated ALL sugars, yeast, fungus, dairy (except yogurt) fermented foods and wheat. (i plan to stay committed to this for a month and the re-evaluate)

supplements:
yeast fighters (twin labs) 5 pills
garlic capsules
physillum husks
triphala (ayuvedic cleansing herbs)
flozancole (200mg) once a day 7 days
threelac (one packet a day)
collidal silver (ive consumed 4 ozs in 2 weeks)
lactopriv (an acidophilus and probiotic formula)
candida 200C homeopathy solution in liquid (take 3 drops every other day)

taking and applying grapefruit seed extract GSE--- (from this forum got the AMAZING idea of buying the empty capsules and putting the extract in it so you can actually swallow it with no problem, thanks!)

also applying APNO on the nipples after washing with GSE solution.

because i have had a persistent case i started to sanitize my DD toys (what a drag).

i wash all clothes with vinegar as well.
try to remember to wash my hands frequently.
ahh

but, to be honest i am so gun-hoe on kicking this thrush that i actually feel like i want to do more. since i finally committed to this regime i do feel better and i do not want to have another relapse so i feel like i have to kick the candida. i can see that my nips are healing but the 6 cuts or fissures are still lingering on my right nip, but wow it feels so much better.

well, keeping my fingers crossed

so there is my story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
We've just started a dairy/egg elimination diet so now I'm afraid I cannot take the acidophilus. Anyone know? I'm pretty sure it's dairy derived.

Is resistant thrush another sign of a food sensitivity or not? I guess I'm grasping for straws here hoping after another week of the elimination diet that maybe well be able to combat the thrush. Who knows!
I wouldn't stop yogurt and acidophilus; that is the natural bacteria in the gut that, if outnumbered, allows a yeast overgrowth. that is what happens when you take antibiotics, including diflucan (unfortunately), which kills both yeast AND bacteria (inc. the good stuff). so, when you take diflucan you really need to keep up with the acidiphilus. you can get a non-dairy acidophilus supplement. actually, it should be a probiotic blend, not just acidophilus.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phin'smom View Post
that is what happens when you take antibiotics, including diflucan (unfortunately), which kills both yeast AND bacteria (inc. the good stuff). so, when you take diflucan you really need to keep up with the acidiphilus. you can get a non-dairy acidophilus supplement. actually, it should be a probiotic blend, not just acidophilus.
i have not read that difulcan does that at all. i have read that difucan/floconazole does NOT kill any bacteria. it only prevents candida bacteria from reproducing. that is why when you stop taking it thrush/yeast infections come back. but if you do other treatments with the drug you should be able to get good results.

i am not for drugs, but when you are suffering with an extended case they help.
but i do believe that strong drugs come with their side effects, and personally i am worried about my DD while taking it, but i really need thrush to stop!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM

Diflucan does not impact bacteria....it only stops yeast from growing...personally found it and other mesures to be my cure.

I took it for a LONNNNGGGG time, had no problems with it at all.

Mary
Old 01-31-2007, 09:46 PM

Tulsidas ~ I think you've got your bases covered!

I'd be interested in getting a source for your candida homeopathy solution.

I have one thing I want to mention, and you might think it's corny, but it's something I've bee doing this past week (while I'm on the Oregano & TTO)......I'm practicing the Law of Attraction in regards to thrush. Have you been reading the threads on this?

What I've been doing is: instead of focusing so much of my energies, thoughts, and feelings on the THRUSH per se.....I am redirecting those thoughts onto HEALTHY BOOBIES. I'm taking all the energy I've given thrush and putting it towards visualizing healthy, clear, clean ducts & nipples. I know it sounds crazy, but I tell you, I think it's helping. And I was amazed when I first began doing it, how strong and frequent my thoughts were about thrush. I mean, I thought about it constantly. Instead now, I'm thinking about healing constantly.

At first it wasn't easy. I was so used to that feeling of wanting to "fight" the thrush and get rid of it. I was like a warrior. Now I'm softening myself and focusing my thoughts on the healing. And I'm visualizing my ducts already healed, and what that feels like. I keep that picture in my mind of breasts that do not have any unbalance of candida. Do you know what I mean?

I think it's made a difference for me.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 PM

Mama in the forest---Thanks for your post! I've been so down the last few days that I haven't been able to enjoy my sweet baby. My negative energy is wearing off on her, too. There is something to positive thinking. Thanks for reminding me!

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Tulsidas ~ I think you've got your bases covered!

I'd be interested in getting a source for your candida homeopathy solution.

I have one thing I want to mention, and you might think it's corny, but it's something I've bee doing this past week (while I'm on the Oregano & TTO)......I'm practicing the Law of Attraction in regards to thrush. Have you been reading the threads on this?

Me too!!! I've been envisioning my dd's pretty PINK mouth! I'm positive that this will help us kill off the yeast quicker. Pretty pink mouths and happy milk ducts.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 02-01-2007, 02:47 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmama View Post
Mama in the forest---Thanks for your post! I've been so down the last few days that I haven't been able to enjoy my sweet baby. My negative energy is wearing off on her, too. There is something to positive thinking. Thanks for reminding me!

Check out the spirituality forum. Read the threads about the laws od attraction LOA) and the Secret. Good stuff!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:35 PM

I'm on 200 mg/ DAY, and I havent' been told to pump and dump. Hopefully it isn't too damaging to dd, since we are on week 2 of diflucan.

I'm bothered by the fact that I realized we had yeast 2 wks ago, started with the diflucan, sterilizing, nystatin, etc. and it's gotten WORSE, not better! I thought catching it early would help, but it seems to have escalated. Has this happened to anybody else? I'm going to the store today for some gentian violet and GSE. No dessert for me! (boo hoo)

Katie
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM

It often gets worse before it gets better..dont know why?

Mary
Old 02-01-2007, 05:10 PM

It has been confirmed. I have thrush and so does DS.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyzia View Post
It has been confirmed. I have thrush and so does DS.
May the force be with you.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM

HELP!!!
Should I take GSE orally at the same time as the probiotics, or will that kill the good little critters? So I need to space out the doses? And do I really need to do the GSE topical to the nipples EVERY hour? or just after feedings? All the protocols I find are a little different...dr gordon, dr. newman, etc. What has worked for you?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakafrog View Post
HELP!!!
Should I take GSE orally at the same time as the probiotics, or will that kill the good little critters? So I need to space out the doses? And do I really need to do the GSE topical to the nipples EVERY hour? or just after feedings? All the protocols I find are a little different...dr gordon, dr. newman, etc. What has worked for you?
I don't know...I've been taking probiotics at the same time as GSE, now I'm paranoid! I've been putting GSE on my nipples after feedings.

I'm new to this thread, but not new to thrush . I think I've had it pretty much since my son was born, but it only started getting really bad in December. I've done two rounds of Diflucan, but it keeps coming back. The last time I did Diflucan for two weeks (the first day 200 mg, and then 100 mg thereafter). I took my last one about a week ago, and was feeling better, but now the evil yeast is back again . I'm taking GSE orally and topically and taking probiotics. Don't know if it's really helping. DS has never shown any signs of being infected, until this morning when I noticed that he's getting a yeasty looking diaper rash. Ugh! Is it okay to put nystatin cream on his bum?
Another thing: Can thrush make you have itchy armpits?
DS also has food allergies. Now I'm wondering if there is a connection like some of you mentioned.

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
May the force be with you
:

Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
The last time I did Diflucan for two weeks (the first day 200 mg, and then 100 mg thereafter). I took my last one about a week ago, and was feeling better, but now the evil yeast is back again
Sometimes ya need to be on it longer. Some mamas for 6 weeks.

Have you tried the TTO & oregano yet?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Talk about adding insult to injury, Dh said that he is afraid to go near me because he might start growing cheese on his body. Men!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyzia View Post
Talk about adding insult to injury, Dh said that he is afraid to go near me because he might start growing cheese on his body. Men!

sorry, my husband was weirded out with my yeasty breast, but i don t think he has to worry about that.

do take the probiotics with GSE.
if your case is really bad do wipe with GSE every hour, or when you remember. but DEFINITLY after each nursing.
there is conflicting info out there, but there is an underlining of the same stuff. do as much as you feel you need to.
sorry you have it

i am FINALLY sore-FREE for 2 days and i am trying not to worry that it may come back.
focusing on thinking good thoughts.

hang in there!!!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakafrog View Post
HELP!!!
i found this to be the clearest to follow:

Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Handouts----just google it.

the APNO seems to really be helping too.
keep taking your probiotics.
GSE 3 times a day.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:26 PM

yup - it can give you itchy armpits!! i feel like i have it in my mouth from kissing my dd on her mouth. this is so frustrating. i have one dose of the diflucan left (second round) and i just know it is going to come back. i have been doing the vinegar washes, but that is it....i am not good with sterilizing and was not able to find the GV or GSE......why are doctors so dumb?? the first time i called in november they said ductal thrush was too rare - this past time they said, if it happens again we will need to see you to find out what is going on - cant i just sent them here to read this thread so they can see - i am not the only one and it is hard to get rid of!!!! odd question - i know that antibiotics can create yeast problems - what about albuterol - dd has asthma and takes a nebulizer a few times a week.........

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsidas View Post
i found this to be the clearest to follow:

Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Handouts----just google it.

the APNO seems to really be helping too.
keep taking your probiotics.
GSE 3 times a day.
I think the handouts are on kellymom.com

Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Have you tried the TTO & oregano yet?
No I haven't. How much do you need to take? I'm sure it's already been discussed on here, but there are a lot of pages to read through!

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 PM

Well, I just got a call from my pharacist saying that APNO would cost me a wopping $75! I told her what I've been using and she said that it should do just fine. Here it is...

Mix together
Nystatin (perscription)
Lotrimin (Clotrimazole)
Neosporin (triple antibiotic cream)
Petrolium jelly

It's not as strong as prescription APNO, and it's missing the anti-inflamitory ingredient, but if you (like me) can't afford to drop $75, then this is the recipie for you.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmama View Post
Well, I just got a call from my pharacist saying that APNO would cost me a wopping $75! I told her what I've been using and she said that it should do just fine. Here it is...

Mix together
Nystatin (perscription)
Lotrimin (Clotrimazole)
Neosporin (triple antibiotic cream)
Petrolium jelly

It's not as strong as prescription APNO, and it's missing the anti-inflamitory ingredient, but if you (like me) can't afford to drop $75, then this is the recipie for you.
That's insane! My APNO prescription was only $3.85. Is it not covered by your insurance? That's great that it can be easily homemade.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:35 PM

weird, my apno was $20.
you should call another pharmacy, but if your is working right on!

3 days of no pain!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 05:54 PM

The pharmacy said that most insurance plans don't cover compounds. My DIY APNO seems to be doing the trick. My pain has gone down about 90% in the last 2 days.

Oh, and dd wants nothing to do with a purple nipple. I have to turn off the lights to nurse her with the GV on.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Ok, so I am on the 2nd round of diflucan (week 3) and over the past 3 weeks my symptoms have been getting WORSE. Every day I watch my nipples get redder and feel them get sorer, and I'm beginning to wonder if I've misdiagnosed it as thrush/yeast. I am so scared to return to the place of Really Sore Nipples that I experienced in the beginning... I mourn for those few days when my nipples were healthy, pain-free, and nursing was blissful. :

Can mistakenly taking anti-yeast agents do me harm? I am tempted to just stop the diflucan and see what happens. Will that breed resistant yeast strains? I find it very frustrating that drs/midwives have a hard time diagnosing yeast and seem to know very little. I've found most of my info here!

Right now, dd is taking nothing (nystatin last 2 wks; didn't seem to do jack diddly). Now and then I let her suck acidophilus off my finger. (I should do that more)

I am taking tons of probiotics, GSE and APNO after feedings, no sugar or beer. Tons of hand washing. Still waiting for the correct 1% solution of GV. Shouldn't I have seen Some improvement in the last 2 wks?

My pain is like pins and needles between feedings; areola feels bruised btwn feedings and as dd latches on. Nipples bright pink; no cracks... yet.

Any advice? Do I keep going with all the protocol or throw in the towel and see what happens?

On my pity-pot,
Katie
Old 02-04-2007, 01:17 AM
DBZ

Katie, are you sure your DD's latch is good? Do you ever have whitish looking nipples? Are you sure your bra is the right size and it is wireless right? I'm no expert or anything but wheneven I get a pins and needle feeling it seems like blood flow is constricted. Does your baby have oral thrush? If you have a LLL meeting near you I'd go. If you have thrush you might have a little more then just thrush.

Oral thrush in a baby can cause a bad latch. My dd would suck in such a way that my nipple would flatten and turn white.

Taking diflucan without a yeast infection isn't going to give you a yeast infection.

Keep up the probiotics, gse, etc. It can only do you good.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:49 AM

Thanks for your input! I think our latch is good most of the time. A lactation consult/RN came to our house and said it looked textbook. DD is very vigorous when she eats, clamping down. That could cause some soreness on the areola, I suppose. Also, her top lip forms a little beak rather than flanging out. This has been her style from the beginning, even w/o thrush.

But yes, I do get blanched nipples now and then; I'm at home most of the time and don't wear a bra. I'm not sure dd has oral thrush; at the dr.s last week she didn't see any signs. The LLL meeting idea is a good one. Thanks! I will look one up in my area.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:43 PM

sungirl,
sorry to hear about your nipples.
it is really hard!!!
i agree that the things you are taking wont hurt,but i understand the emotional weight of doing so much with no results. hang in there but explore some more things, if you can handle it.
the difulsin did not help me much either, but the APNO and gentian violet did.
i read from a good source that if GV helps you then it is thrush. really try to get a hold of GV. it does help, and if it does not help you at all in 7 days then you can assume you dont have a yeast problem.

my nips turn a little white too. i am re-looking into that too. in my tons of web-browsing about thrush i read something like that can also be a sign of candida.

currently my therory for most of us mamas is that we have candida and we have to cure that. but it is really hard. it means really changing our diets and the candida diet is TORTURE to a nursing mother. : : :

good luck and keep exploring and taking good things into your body!!!

User Tag List