yeast mastitis versus mastitis or thrush - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok - i have "yeast mastitis" and have been put on diflucan (4 today then 2 a day for the next two weeks) - is "yeast mastitis" the same thing as mastitis in the milk ducts, different from regular mastitis or thrush?? am i right?? it is systemic, right?? thanks!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 AM

I have a good friend who is a midwife and lactation consulatant, and the way she explained it to me is that yeast mastitis is thrush that has spread beyond the nipple to the milk ducts. And yes, it is usually systemic candida albicans that causes all yeast-related issues.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

that is what i thought - yeast in the milk ducts - i told them that is what i thought i had a month ago and they told me no, that is too rare......thanks!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

Old 12-14-2006, 04:53 AM

It's actually really common to have it spread to the ducts, but most OBs, Peds, and LCs don't realize that unless they've had advanced clinical training in thrush/yeast mastitis. There's a lot of misinformation out there. The first time we had thrush I had to convince my ped. that DS could still have thrush even if he didn't have a white coating on his tonuge! And then he wanted to prescribe sugary Nystatin to treat it! : Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much! any idea what i can put on my dd's bum...she has a terrible yeast rash and she is so itchy - ds had one once as a baby and we used lotrimin, but we did not use cloth diapers then and i know you are not supposed to use rash creams.........i actually thought of putting yogurt on her bum.......what should i do???

Old 12-15-2006, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
tea tree oil, straight worked on my babies fine. dilute it if the strong smell concerns you.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 AM

We have thrush right now : He's got a few small patches of white on his gums and my nipples burn everytime he latches on. I've been taking probiotics and rinsing my nips with vinegar, what else can I do systemically ?

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 01-07-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
tea tree oil, straight worked on my babies fine. dilute it if the strong smell concerns you.
OUCH!!! I wouldnt do that, but thats just me. Maybe diluted in a carrier oil. :
Old 01-07-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
We have thrush right now : He's got a few small patches of white on his gums and my nipples burn everytime he latches on. I've been taking probiotics and rinsing my nips with vinegar, what else can I do systemically ?
10 drops of grapefruit seed extract in water (or juice) 2-3x day for as long as it takes to clear it up. keep in mind that yeast cycles. its safe to do it longer than you think you need, just to be safe.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinshockeymom View Post
thanks so much! any idea what i can put on my dd's bum...she has a terrible yeast rash and she is so itchy - ds had one once as a baby and we used lotrimin, but we did not use cloth diapers then and i know you are not supposed to use rash creams.........i actually thought of putting yogurt on her bum.......what should i do???

Rash creams are not the same thing as creams that treat for yeast. We use Clortrimazole (sp?), and just rub it in well. It hasn't harmed the fuzzi bunz we use one bit. She has outbreaks every once in a while (we had terrible yeast problems in the beginning, I got it in my milk ducts and she had it throughout her gut, and we had to treat her orally as well). My LC missed the thrush over and over and that's why it progressed to such an awful stage.

We tried all sorts of natural methods to get rid of the thrush, but diflucan for me and nystatin for her are what ended up working, with the clortrimazole cream for her diaper area whenever there is a flare up. -j
Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the post. I had a similar question.

DD2 and I have been struggling with yeast. I thought it was under control and had eased up on swabbing DD2's mouth with GSE. Saturday I noticed an all over bruised type feeling on my left side. I checked the mirror yesterday and noticed some areas of redness on the underside. And my lymph nodes felt slightly swollen. Today everything seems better except for the classic signs of thrush so I think I still have it but that it's now out of the ducts on my left side, or at least getting better.

I was trying to avoid another trip to the pediatrician but she is due for her 6 month visit. I should ask about Diflucan again but I'm not sure what the point is if the toddler is probably reinfecting us.

~Cath

User Tag List