albuterol and thrush..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have been battling ductal thrush for a few months now and i have begun to think it might be from the albuterol....dd has asthma and gets nebulizer treatments pretty reglarly - i know antibiotics can cause thrush - and it seems from what i have seen online that so can albuterol - anyone have any experience with this????

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#2 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 04:43 PM

I am pretty sure it can. can you rinse or wash out dd's mouth after treatments?

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#3 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 PM

my dd #2 is on pulmicort twice a day and xopenex as needed, and we've battled thrush off and on for a year. i keep diluted grapefruit seed extract in a squirt bottle and squirt her mouth out after each treatment. the thrush has been from any time dh does it (he sometimes forgets to squirt her mouth out). i used to give her a sip of water, but the gfse seems to work much better. she actually holds her mouth open for the squirt! hth and good luck battling it. thrush is such a booger. :

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help!! my dd's name is ivy as well!!!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#5 of 7 Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 AM

Hi, just saw the thread title and thought I'd pop in. My mom has a pulmonary condition and takes Xopenex and Pulmicort (albuterol) in a nebulizer (basically the same schedule that "perditafoster" described.)

Her pulmonologist diagnosed thrush on our last office visit; he shone his otoscope into her throat and had me look so that I'd know how to identify it. He also wrote a prescription for Nystatin (I think that was it) with two refills, and told me to refill it if I saw the spots again.

She generally rinses/gargles after the albuterol, but I swear it sounds so weird. I don't think she really knows how to gargle activating the back of her throat. It all sounds like it's in the front of her mouth. I don't know, though.

Anyway, yes, albuterol can lead to thrush and it's important to rinse after treatments. I can only imagine how challenging this would be with a young child! The diluted grapefruit seed extract sounds like a good idea with a good track record.

I hope you can get to the bottom of it and solve the problem.
#6 of 7 Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 AM

In theory, albuterol and Xopenex shouldn't cause thrush....but if you are on an inhaled steroid (either an inhaler or nebulized medicine), then that can definitely cause thrush - Advair, Pulmicort, Qvar, etc. Ask your doc if you're not sure which of your medicines are steroids.

HTH
#7 of 7 Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

my dd is on inhaled albuterol.....through her nebulizer.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page