Switching from bottle to breast feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister is bottle feeding her 3.5 month old using pumped breast milk. She initially tried to breastfeed directly. After a pregnancy of mostly restricted activity/bed rest, followed by a premature birth and then a hospital stay, she decided to stick with pumping. Now that they are both healthy, she wishes that she had been given more options to continue breastfeeding.

Does anyone has experience switching back to breastfeeding at this age? I wonder if there is any specific information I can pass on to her. She has been using bottle nipples that are supposedly more like real nipples, for what that's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Just try it. First thing to do is to make sure that the milk is let down first. Pump so that there is "instant gratification" for baby (biggest difference between BF and EBM in a bottle).

Try when baby's half asleep, or when in the bathtub (but beware of pump + water, obviously- sorry for the disclaimer).
#3 of 3 Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 AM

Depending on how much her nipples stick out, a nipple shield may help with the transition if they don't stick way out. Also since the nipple shield is made of silicone like bottle nipples the feel is more similar for the baby during the transition period. I too had preterm babies and they were given bottles in the NICU and when my DD was 3 months old I got her nursing again with the aid of a nipple shield (which we still use--kind of a pain, but still much better than exclusive pumping & bottle feeding). Make sure the nipple shield is the proper size for her nipples. I worked with an IBCLC for tips. I'd recommend she seek a lactation consult also. That way they can do a pre & post weight with her to see how much the baby is taking in. Also, she'll need to treat her baby like a newborn and keep track of wet diapers & weight gains to make sure baby is taking in enough.

Good luck to her!

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page