itchy rash on breast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a red bumpy itchy rash on both breasts on the outside where I hold them to support them. i'm really bad and have scratched it like crazy and now i even have a couple of scabs yuck... what is this and how can I make it go away..... i can't find anything about rashes on the breast relating to breastfeeding (it's not on the nipples at all) i have tried here, google and kellymom

thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 PM

Does it sort of look almost like stretch marks inthe way it's appeared on your skin? I mean, sort of like you can see that the kskin has stretched and those lines are red and itchy?

Is it very dry and very cold where you live?

I get this on my breasts and calves in very cold weather when I've not been hydrated/lotioned/covered well enough, even long before BFing. So when it appeared while BFing this winter, I've been drinking lots of water, running two humidifiers in the house 24/7, wearing mostly cotton clothing, limiting my shower length and keeping the temp of the water cooler than I'm used to, lotioning up a lot, and using lanolin (Lansinoh) on the breast skin that is irritated. It seems to be helping quite a bit.

Also, rubbing some expressed breast milk on it a couple times a day seems to really help the redness.
#3 of 7 Old 02-18-2007, 11:18 PM

I had what I think is a similar issue and for a long time I just thought it was dry skin and I would scratch until my breast would bleed even, but after reading some on yeast issues I wondered if it wasn't somehow related to that. SO I started to take an acidophilus supplement everyday (2 billion live org. ) and since then it has not been an issue. Can't say for sure if it was yeast cause my ds never had issues although he too would get an occassional rash on his cheeks that looked a bit like mine when I did- so maybe. But Acidophilus is cheap so you might try it and I also rubbed yogurt on the spots and that helped too (good bugs and all) till I could get to the store and get the supplement. HTH at least it's something you might try .
#4 of 7 Old 02-18-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

its bumpy and raised and red....

it is super cold and dry here though...

my mom said it could be yeast too... why would it just be on my breasts not the nipples?? i will have to get some yogurt when i get out... I have been putting breastmilk on it and it seems to soothe it a bit...

maybe i should ask my midwife too...
#5 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikruca View Post
why would it just be on my breasts not the nipples??

oh god why did i say anything- we seem to have developed thrush now...

ouch...

this is going to be fun with two babies sharing the breasts
:
#6 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM

i have the same thing going on...i hope it's not thrush! my dd just got off antibiotics for a respiratort infection & i thought i was in the clear as there were no nipple issues, just on the breast itself...i am leaving my boobs to air out for the rest of the day now...
#7 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 02:46 PM

I've had that same rash off and on since my little guy was born 2 years ago. It's much worse in the summer when I'm hot all the time and that makes me think it is yeast related.

User Tag List