Red blotchy rash on areola and base of nipple HELP - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very painful rash around the base of both nipples and on the areola. It is blotchy and red adn puffy. And SORE>.... did I mention SORE!
I read a bit and not sure what it is.. I've never had thrush issues with 3 kids, so this would be a first for me if it is thrush, but doesn't really sound liek what I've been readin gabout thrush. Teh rash comes and goes. I read online somewhere that it's possible that it's a type of excema know as Nipple eczema / Dermatitis anyone heard of this? it says that it starts around 5-6 months post partum adn is usually related to teh introductions of solids or teething. We aren't into solids yet.. but DS is teething. He's almost 5 months.
he has no signs or symptoms which ispartly why I don't think it's thrush but it might be any thoughts, suggestions or ideas? thanks!!
#2 of 11 Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 PM

I too have had a similar "thing". I got it at about 3 months bfeeding & it has yet to go away (it's been almost 2 yrs). I went to the dr and she said ecezma but I really don't think so. My top layer of skin completely flakes off leaving a weepy red puffy skin. I have a referral to a dermitalogist but it will be aprox 2 months. I am now using a steroid cream (I am not bfeeding now) that does fix it but the minute I stop it is back again. I can't wait to hear what others have to say.
#3 of 11 Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 AM

I have this too. I'm taking acidiphollus and that seems to help, which makes me think it's yeast even if it isn't thrush, which I (and babe) also have no signs of.

Wierd.

Mine doesn't hurt at all, though, it's just ugly.
#4 of 11 Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 PM

hmm...this is interesting. I have exactly what you are describing. Flaky skin, which falls off and reveals a weepy, red blotchy rash that itches like no ones business! However, I had it five years before my first pregnancy. I also used steriod creams that helped a little. Breastmilk soaked pads is what sent it into remission for me. But when I got pregnant the second time, it came back on one of my breasts. Since I don't produce as much milk as I did pp 1st pregnancy, I don't have enough milk to soak a pad. I had a early miscarriage, so I didn't get the increased milk production. I'll be subbing this thread because I hope someone finds some info on this. It's something you think no one else has, then you find out others do have it!

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#5 of 11 Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 PM

I found this information about "nipple ezcema"
http://www.rarediseases.org/search/r...20the%20Breast

Quote:
Paget's disease of the breast is characterized by inflammatory, "eczema-like" changes of the nipple that may extend to involve the areola, which is the circular, darkened (pigmented) region of skin surrounding the nipple. Initial findings often include itching (pruritus), scaling, and crusting of and/or discharge from the nipple.
While we obviously don't all have cancer, it would be good to be tested anyways to eliminate the possibility. Now, to convince our gyns about this....

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#6 of 11 Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 PM

It sounds like yeast to me.
#7 of 11 Old 03-13-2007, 01:03 PM

I've had yeast, AND eczema. I used Dr. Newman's APNO (all purpose nipple ointment, which contains hydrocortisone among other things), and that kept it in check. As soon as I stopped using it, I would get flaky and red, and always got a split in the skin in the base of my nipple. Ouch!

I did become concerned about using the cortisone ongoing, both because it is an immune suppressant, and basically further stimulates your body to produce the eczema response. Also, I didn't like DD getting it ongoing, even though I only used it once a day, before I went to work.

I used a homeopathic ointment instead called Unda 270, recommended by my ND. Whenever I got a split, I also used a homeopathic called graphites that helped to heal them up in about 3 days. I think the dosages was 30CH, about 3 pellets once a day til I noticed it healing up. The Unda wasn't quite as effective for the acute condition as the cortisone, but I felt it was a better option longterm.

Once I started taking acidophilus daily, it went away. There is definately a connection to diet and eczema. There was an article in Mothering on this about a year or two ago. I will see if I can dig up which issue it was in - I don't see the article online. Whether its yeast or eczema, the acidophilus would be helpful.

Most bfing resources seem to make a connection to eczema and introduction of solids. If its topical eczema, that might be the thing. Even if your baby is teething, the additional saliva perhaps is irritating to your skin? Some resources recommend having baby take a sip of H20 before latching on. I've had a history of on/off eczema all my life, and knew it wasn't topical. I tried to get DD to sip H20, but it didn't really work and was pretty impractical too.
#8 of 11 Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's the same article I found. A bit of an update. it' smostly gone now, it kind of peeled away If that makes sense. Still itches sometimes, but what I ended up doing was just squeezing out breastmilk onto it and it sort of healed itself...
#9 of 11 Old 04-01-2007, 01:10 AM

I've got it too. I got it when dd was 11 mos. I was treating it like thrush for 2 months. that just made it worse due to the drying effect of thrush treatments like gentian violet and diflucan. It got REALLY bad for a while. Very dry, lots of cracking, pain that made me screan when dd nursed... I've been using an anti-bacterial cream to heal the cracking and lansioh for the dryness. I've also put some hydro-cortizone on it on a few occasions. The cracking is all gone, and now I'm just managing the dryness.

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#10 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 PM

I have some of the symptoms posted above, but am still not sure what to do about it. My left areola is very red and the skin keeps flaking off. I have probably lost a layer of skin everyday for the past 6 weeks. It used to itch at the beginning. I keep putting lanolin on it, but this is doing nothing. This past weekend, it bled for the first time. Any suggestions?

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#11 of 11 Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Hi ladies,
I have the same symptoms at four months pregnant. At first they were just dry, and do i moisturised a few times a day. Then it turned into scaly red rash. The only thing that works for me (I won't use steroid cream) is live (raw) honey. I put it on after a shower, cover with a bit of tissue to keep my bra clean, and my skin is soft and itch-free all day. It's worth a try!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page