Probiotic Acidophilus for thrush, ok while nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a bottle of Probiotc Acidophilus to help with a nasty case of thrush we are battling. I bought the powder for DD. Now the powder says its fine for infants but the bottle says do not take if nursing??? Is this just a warning they put on all bottle? I am confused, can I take it? Everything online says ok but bottle say no?

Any info would be great. Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 03-14-2007, 10:35 PM

I take it. Make sure you have the "good stuff" which is stored in the fridge.
#3 of 7 Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

this stuff says it can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature? is there a difference?

Does your bottle say not to take while nursing? I am wondering if maybe I picked up the wrong kind, if there is such a thing.
#4 of 7 Old 03-15-2007, 01:44 AM

Hi morgansmum,

My experience has been that just about every herb or supplement out there says either "do not take while nursing or pregnant" or "consult with a health care practictioner if nursing or pregnant" or some such thing. Just to cover themselves in many cases.

Acidopholous should be totally okay to take while nursing. I did, when I had thrush and my daughter was a NB. Recommended by my midwife.

I think Jarrowdopholus is a good brand, that's one of the refrig. ones. But there are other good ones too.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Lori
#5 of 7 Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 AM

Blah, they just have to say that on everything. It's the perfect treatment for thrush. Keep it in the fridge, it will last longer and be more potent. If it wasn't refrigerated at the store, you might consider getting one that is. Unfortunately the more effective probiotics are those which tend to be more expensive, I've found. But they're worth it. Thrush is pretty resistant so you might consider a broad-spectrum probiotic as opposed to just acidophilus. We also used a probiotic specifically for infants but I don't think it is necessary, just preferred.

Also, breastfeedingonline has some good Jack Newman articles regarding treating thrush. We had a lovely case after taking antibiotics to treat my crazy case of mastitis at 2 weeks PP. Thrush is no fun so you have to be very vigilant.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#6 of 7 Old 03-15-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thrush is pretty resistant so you might consider a broad-spectrum probiotic as opposed to just acidophilus.
Thank you I will look in to that, I am just about done with this thrush, so frustrating. We generally take nothing this thrush is killer though, never dealt with a case this bad. We've done VCO and GSE. The GSE took care of it for a while but now its back and the GSE is not working anymore. Her bottom rash is gone though thankfully.

Of course the ped wants my 4 month old to take diflucan

I am glad I can start taking it, I just found it odd that the powder had no warning but the pill did?

thanks for taking the time to respond.
#7 of 7 Old 08-23-2008, 03:21 AM

It's fine. I take a probiotic daily, and have been giving DS a probiotic off and on since he was about six months old or so. They were prescribed to me by my doctor (a Naturopath). It's nothing too far off from what you'd get naturally, if all our foods weren't pasteurized and ruined from factories.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page