HELP I think my milk is drying up:( (kinda long) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have got the worst pain in my breasts and I posted that before but I couldn't feed DS without feeling sick to my stomach and wanting to scream it hurt so bad well I started pumping which helped with the pain a bit and got up to 6 ozs (ds is 7 weeks old) but since my nipples were feeling better I figured I could start feeding him again (my breasts never stopped hurting just my nipples felt a little better) well I have gone out with friends and left ds with his daddy and pumped so he could still have breast milk (it had been over a year since I went out with friends)my breasts started hurting severely painful again well anyways pumping was going fine until this morning and I can only get 2 ozs every time I pump ds crys for more after he eats then while I am "trying" to get more I give him a pacifier for comfort and he falls asleep...I try to pump every hour to encourage my milk to come back but it isn't working...please help what can I do? I am planning on going to the doctor today about the pain maybe they can figure out whats wrong and make it so I can feed him comfortably...I have been using nystatin in case of yeast and lansinoh but it doesn't help the pain...My girls had allergies to many types of formula and they had pretty messed up tummys do to it and I would hate to have him have that problem...any ideas of how to encourage my milk to come back to normal?How much should ds be getting?
#2 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Have you met with an LC?

How often are you pumping? IIRC pumping exclusively you should pump a minimum of every 4 hours around the clock in order to try and maintain supply.
#3 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Since you are EPing right now take a peak at this thread their are a lot of good tips.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=673176

How long has this been going on? The pain sounds like an infection or thrush. The best thing to do is get the babe back to your breast and clear the medical problem you are having with your breasts or else you could end up being an EPer for good or weaning. Find a good IBCLC they are worth the $$ and some insurance companies pay if you can find one who works out of a hospital.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2soon2b3 View Post
I have got the worst pain in my breasts and I posted that before but I couldn't feed DS without feeling sick to my stomach and wanting to scream it hurt so bad well I started pumping which helped with the pain a bit and got up to 6 ozs (ds is 7 weeks old) but since my nipples were feeling better I figured I could start feeding him again (my breasts never stopped hurting just my nipples felt a little better) well I have gone out with friends and left ds with his daddy and pumped so he could still have breast milk (it had been over a year since I went out with friends)my breasts started hurting severely painful again well anyways pumping was going fine until this morning and I can only get 2 ozs every time I pump ds crys for more after he eats then while I am "trying" to get more I give him a pacifier for comfort and he falls asleep...I try to pump every hour to encourage my milk to come back but it isn't working...please help what can I do? I am planning on going to the doctor today about the pain maybe they can figure out whats wrong and make it so I can feed him comfortably...I have been using nystatin in case of yeast and lansinoh but it doesn't help the pain...My girls had allergies to many types of formula and they had pretty messed up tummys do to it and I would hate to have him have that problem...any ideas of how to encourage my milk to come back to normal?How much should ds be getting?
If he is falling asleep after eating, are you sure he is still hungry? Maybe he is crying because of gas, not hunger? This might be a stupid suggestion, but are you burping him really well afterwards? Maybe if he got some gas out he could go back on the breast and fall asleep? Even if not much milk was coming out, he would get the comfort sucking (like the paci), and also stimulate your breasts to produce more? Have you tried nursing while sleeping? Just some ideas off the top of my head. I apologize if you've already been through all of the basics. Hugs to you.

P.S. I would make sure your doc is really BF-friendly and -knowledgeable or they might make it worse for you with bad advice.

#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 PM

I don't have any good advice, but I've been battling supply problems and now ds is only nursing at night and it is soo hard. So I just wanted to send a your way and I hope you get some good help.
#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 07:01 PM

I've read some other posts about a lot of pain in your breasts. Have you looked at www.kellymom.com? There is great advice there and it sounds possible to me that you may be dealing with a more serious breastfeeding issue like plugged ducts, mastitis, or more likely (due to your son's diagnosis) thrush. You can get yeast infections in your breast that go beyond the nipple into the ducts which is very painful and difficult to treat with topical medication. I would try to see a LC and possibly a breastfeeding friendly doctor to see if you can get all the painful problems cleared up. Then I'd think if you're continuing to pump and nurse your supply should stay okay.
#7 of 7 Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 PM

Pain that severe at 7 weeks sounds like a medical issue, along with the drop in supply (I remember wanting my morphine PCA back during the first 6 weeks of breastfeeding). The nice thing about such medical issues is they can often be successfuly addressed once they are identified.

Really, you're probably through the worst of it now, so don't give up just when things are going to get easier!

While your nausea may be pain-related and should resolve when the pain does, I found that early on, I got nauseated whenever I pumped. I think it was related to very high hormone levels, as I produced anout 40 ounces a day for the first 6 months. I found ginger candy can help a lot with this, and tastes pretty nice, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page