Mothering Forum banner

Drying up on one side only?

570 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RootSnort 
#1 ·
Ever since my last AF, I've had the feeling or suspicion that I am loosing milk on one side. DD has never really favoured that side, but now actively gets upset when I offer it. She will grudgingly take it for a few sucks, but then immediately wants the "fast" flow side.

She is 17 months, and I'm not ready for her to wean. I'm wondering if it is worth it for me to try and boost the supply back up? I have some domperidone because I had low supply for the first year, I thought because of a medication I was taking. I've been eating oatmeal every day for breakfast, and try to get in a cup of more milk tea.

She doesn't eat a whole lot of solids, though she has been a bit more interested recently.

I know I can probably nurse her on one side only, but I have almost a cup size difference, or more because of the differences in milk supply. I also wonder, if I dry up on the one side, will the other side follow suit?

I keep meaning to call the LLL leader for my area, but usually by the time I get a chance it is later at night, and I don't want to call then.

#2 ·
If you're not removing milk from one side, the supply will drop on that side. But since the other side is producing, you're making enough milk hormone to support production on both sides. You should be able to boost supply on the "light" side just by pumping that side when you nurse, plus a few extra sessions a day, if you can stand it. I don't think the domeperidone should be necessary if you're getting good quantities on the other side!

#4 ·
Thanks, I've been trying to offer when she is sleepy and such. I might be able to get in a bit of pumping, but I only have a hand pump or the medela mini electric. I'd heard that those are not great for increasing supply? I don't know if DH will go for the rental of a hospy grade pump again.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caittune View Post
Thanks, I've been trying to offer when she is sleepy and such. I might be able to get in a bit of pumping, but I only have a hand pump or the medela mini electric. I'd heard that those are not great for increasing supply? I don't know if DH will go for the rental of a hospy grade pump again.
Any pump can be used to increase supply as long as it's in good repair and has good suction. I never used a hospital grade pump, and I've been pumping exclusively for 15 months. I use the WhisperWear ($100 per side) and the Avent Isis manual ($50). So an excellent pump doesn't have to cost a lot of money. You've just got to find the right pump for you.

To increase supply, you want to pump as frequently as you can stand, for about 2 minutes past seeing the last drop of milk. I have been increasing supply mostly with the Avent the past few weeks, and I'm pumping 8 times a day. It's working!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.