Can thrush go away by itself? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering, I think we may have it, not sure. Will thrush go away by itself eventually or does it always need treatment?
#2 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 10:54 PM

In my experience, it does not go away by itself. Instead, due to the constant supply of food (breast milk) it can move into the milk ducts and cause a ductal infection (so, so painful!!!!).

My advice would be to treat aggressivly! Good luck.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#3 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 PM

I am not sure of the particulars but if you are looking for something natural you could try acidopholis (sp?) When my DD was small I had thrush 4 times in the first 6 mos and was treating it with nystatin and gentian violet. After 6 mos when I stopped leaking ( and stopped wearing disposable nursing pads) I stopped getting it. I didn't make the connection until DS was born and started wearing them again. Once I switched to cotton it went away with no treatment. Hopefully someone will have some more info for you.
HTH
Krista

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#4 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 11:13 PM

My ds had it for MONTHS... literally, from month 2 until just very very recently. Like a few weeks ago. We did 3 rounds of gentian violet, many many rounds of nystatin, probiotics..... I finally saw another doc who told me it would eventually run its course and die off. And it finally did. I left it untreated for about 9 weeks and it is now gone. Its unusual for a baby over 6 months old to still have it, but my baby is 10.5 months and had up until 2 weeks ago.
#5 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 11:35 PM

Thrush/Yeast can go away on its own when the good/bad bacteria in your body is regulated. However, I agree with the advice to treat it because it can become very painful and cause big time breastfeeding problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page