VERY sudden supply drop! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-12-2007, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we had our last midwife visit Saturday and the baby's 10 pounds and 23 3/4 inches from 6 pounds 6ounces and 20 inches 8 weeks ago. Not bad, he's pudging up pretty good. I complained about my oversupply to her and BAM! today it has dwindled. They are soft and don't leak or spray on their own from 6-7 places like they did just days ago. I am not soaking everything and the baby is getting frustrated because he actually has to suck hard to get anything instead of having it spurt at him. I can get a little spray going from one duct if I squeeze hard. He's been nursing more than once every hour. I feel stupid because I moaned about having too much. Maybe I'm being jinxed. I'm scared. He still spits up, but not as much and he still has milk on his face when he pulls off. I'm going to count diapers tomorrow and see. The first poo today was regular mustardy poo, the second bright green and the third mixed. I ground up some fenugreek and put it in caps and started taking that.
How can I keep my baby fed?
#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 AM

Could it just be possible he is hitting a growth spurt, and just increasing your supply again? Sometimes they do go through spurts of nursing constantly.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know why it happened, but that was one scary day! It was so sad to see him punching my breast and his little tummy not getting full and him not getting 'boob drunk'. The fenugreek helped by the next day, but it's hot here and we both smell like a maple sugar shack. Now the right one is back to being quite full. The left has some milk, but not much. I've been thinking of it as alternating having a big meal and a snack and he seems okay with it although having dramatically different sized breasts takes some getting used to and all my shirts look twisted.
#4 of 4 Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 PM

If it's hot are you drinking enough water?

I am on the east coast and the weather started to get a little warmer a week or two ago and I notice that I seem to be thirstier.

So, start with the basics: Water, protein, (healthy) fat, sleep, etc. and: skin to skin contact, nursing as often as possible (at least every 2 hours).

Good luck, ~Cath

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page