does your period lower your breast milk production? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got my period back last month. my son was 9 1/2 mo. old. is there any thing i can do to keep my production up during my period?

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-22-2007, 01:11 AM

i can actually tell when my period is going to come by my dd's nursing habits. i have been eating a couple bowls of oatmeal right before & during my periods to help kick start my supply a bit. it seems to help.
#3 of 10 Old 06-22-2007, 02:42 AM

Yes, my supply drops around my period, and dropped to some degree permanently when it came back at 6 months. I am trying to get it back up using ...well, everything.
#4 of 10 Old 06-22-2007, 02:46 AM

drink lots of water, rest as much as possible, oatmeal and mother's milk tea help me to get through the supply dip during menstruation.

now if there was anything i could take for the sore nipples...that would be great!
#5 of 10 Old 06-22-2007, 11:58 AM

It is normal, and usually it will go back to normal after AF.

Here's an article from Kellymom's BF site that suggests taking extra calcium as a natural remedy to lessen that supply drop:

Quote:
Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement

Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman's blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination. Otherwise the calcium will not be adequately absorbed into your body. The amount of supplement depends on the composition of your diet -- the more animal protein, the more calcium/magnesium needed. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, the lower dosage may work fine for you.

Start the supplement when you ovulate, and continue through the first few days of your menstrual period. If periods are irregular, then begin calcium/magnesium at 14 days after the beginning of your last menstrual cycle, or simply take the supplement every day.
Source: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natural-tre...ts.html#calcium

HTH!

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#6 of 10 Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 AM

When I get my period my supply drops.. Usually a few days before.. and then about half way through my period its back to normal.. I just have to pump a lot more.. Im an EPer so I can tell pretty good what my supply is
#7 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 AM

My supply drops right before my period, and DS gets very frustrated with nursing. I feel horrible about it, and I need to do something about it! At least it's normal, but I can't let poor ds cry and pluck on and off for a week every month! I'm taking notes! Water, Oatmeal, calcium, Mother's Milk tea! Check! Thanks for posting this!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
#8 of 10 Old 06-24-2007, 10:22 PM

I EP and I lose as much as 30% every period, and lose about 2 ounces/day permanently with every cycle. Fenugreek, oatmeal, blessed thistle, cal/mag - nothing helps. I am down to 22 ounces per day from my 36 oz/day prior to return of AF.
#9 of 10 Old 06-29-2007, 01:37 AM
SMR

dd seems to notice about a week before my period.. she gets fussy at the boob... after a couple months i noticed this timing and started taking fenugreek when i first notice her acting frustrated and it seemed to help!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#10 of 10 Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 PM

mine would always drop for about 2 days and then poof come right back with AF. If the PMS was getting me to cranky to put up with constant nursing I would cheat and pull EBM out of the freezer at bedtime. That is the lazy mom's way of coping I guess, but it is a way!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page