Goats Rue - prepping for next baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DOes anyone know where I can get goats rue, outside of motherlove?

I have tubular breasts and I want to try and get ready for baby 2. We will be TTC in a few months.

It is my understanding you can NOT take goats rue when you are pregnant - is this true?

Thanks so much

Michelle

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 04:02 PM

I haven't found Goat's Rue anywhere but MotherLove.

I was under the impression that it was a good idea to take Goat's Rue durign a pregnancy if you have IGT... but I can't find anything to back me up on that...

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:21 PM

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/herbalgalactagogues.shtml

The above link has some info that might help you. There is a link to "galactagogue sources" that lists some different places to get herbal remedies. There is also info about low milk supply in general and specific info on Goat's Rue. There is also info on Shatavari which is another herb you might want to try.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...f.html#goatrue

The above link has some more info on Goat's Rue, and according to her info, you should NOT take it during pregnancy.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Hi Michelle, I have the same problem and I'm 18 weeks pg with #5 now. I'm reading Mother Food by Hilary Jacobson like it's the Bible and she says its ok to take Goats Rue while pg, just not the full dose. Pm me if you want the specifics and I will look it up for you!

I've been taking Alfalfa since 9 weeks and no breast change yet. : Got some sore nips and that's about it. It's such a bummer.

Good luck to you!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Hi...I know it has been over a year, but I really need help.

I am trying to find a way to increase my glandular tissue while pregnant (as I have inherited a condition where I have insufficient glandualr tissue, and cannot produce enough milk to breastfeed). No breast changes at all yet and I am 15 weeks pregnant. I did not know that you could take goats rue while pregnant and I'm interested in doing so. Anyone with any advice, please respond.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
While pregnant, you could try taking alfalfa, Metamucil, shatavari, and goat's rue (from what I've heard, goat's rue should only be taken in the last month of pregnancy).

I drank alfalfa/RRL/nettle tea (about 1tbs each per cup) all throughout pregnancy. You could take up to three cups of Metamucil daily. I took shatavari starting at about 30 weeks.. two pills twice daily. And I did the Motherlove goat's rue tincture starting at 36 weeks.

You could also ask your OB if you could take progesterone supplements. I've heard of a woman who took progesterone orally and via injection until the last few weeks of pregnancy and had great success.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
Old 12-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Why Metamucil? Just wondering because I've never heard that before.

The sea monkey has my money.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:34 AM

From what I've read, best just to take goat's rue at pregnancy's end, BUT you do want to start it in that last month b/c (and this I know from experience) it takes 2-3 weeks to kick in. I hope it helps you ladies - for me, it increased my supply by 50%, and the changes were very obvious - besides the LC confirming the supply increase by before and after-nursing weigh-ins, my breasts became much fuller, much more veined/vascularized, and I started to feel let-downs while nursing for the first time. More Milk Special Blend (Motherlove) is great once the baby is born, b/c it has goat's rue plus a lot of the other great lactation herbs, for the same price.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)

User Tag List