shallow latch/bad latch-pulls in lower lip too - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-17-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 5 wks now and at the LLL meeting last night I asked my friend (lc) to check his latch, since I thought sometimes it wasn't quite right. He's not taking enough areola in on the bottom always so she said it was a "shallow latch", since he prefers to suck the nipple. This happens about 30%? of the time. He also will sometimes pull in his lower lip when he latches and when I go to correct it, he pops off. What's frustrating is that he already acts distracted and we'll get a good latch, then off he pops to look around, then latch back on again. Only then he's impatient, or he does this rub his face in my breast and suck in the nipple before I can stop him. So we start over again. The great news is that he's gaining weight and thriving, so I know he's getting enough milk.
Is anyone dealing with a latch like this? Was it hard to correct/did you correct it? I know it's only sometimes with us, but I'm worried it could become more and hurt our nursing relationship. I've tried the football hold last night which I completely forgot about and latch was much better. What's also frustrating is that this all started only last week when he became distracted.
#2 of 2 Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mama

Have you tried an asymmetrical latch? That would be when you aim your nipple for his nose or the roof of his mouth, so you will see quite a bit of areola above his nose, but hardly any underneath - his lower lip will cover most of it. That helped me immensely with my son who also had kind of a lazy latch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page