Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because it seems to be making my nipple thrush worse. :

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#2 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
it very well might!!! do you **** have the box or insert? it should list on there the "inactive" ingredients. i gave the liquid stuff to my little guy when he was 3 mo...his mouth was covered in white & i was eager to get rid of it before it started hurting him. i was quite upset to get home & realize we were given cherry flavoured nystatin w/ sugar in it!! ick. completely stupid when yeasts thrive on sugar! and he hated it anyway- it wasn't yummy breastmilk. worked for him, but i battled with it on my nipples for nearly a month. i recommend probiotics!!

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#3 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

: Yeah, we have that cherry flavored stuff. The pharmacy didn't give me the package insert, or I would have looked there first. I stopped applying it to my nipples, because it obviously was making the infection worse. I'm still giving it to DS. I'm putting probiotics on my nipples once a day and taking it orally too.

Why would you put sugar in an anti-yeast medication??? :

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#4 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 PM

I'm pretty sure it does have sugar. I've never found it to work at ALL.
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 AM

I came to this forum right now for more thrush info -- I already feel like I have enough for a degree in thrush!!

One thing I know for sure is that nystatin is a terrible medicine, which is really not helpful at all, especially becuase it does contain sugar! The only thing that keeps thrush at bay for us is Dr. Newman's Nipple Cream. It is a miracle. Scroll down the page for the recipe to give to your doctor (it is a compunded prescription). You have to get it at a compounding pharmacy, and it may take a couple of days for them to make it up. It is so so so so so worth it.

Good luck with the thrush. It is awful!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 PM

YES! You can get powdered, refrigerated form and mix with breastmilk to give in an eyedropper. Unfortunately,for us, it came back in her mouth after not using it for 2 days. We're doing probiotics and I've been on the Candida No flour, sugar and dairy for two weeks as well. Rice, meat and veggies, amaranth, etc. Check out the Battling Thrush Support thread.

HTH

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page