Domperidone and Insuffient Glandular Tissue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any experience using it for IGT?

Best sites (from personal experience) to get without a script?

Any other useful info?

Thanks!!!
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM

I ordered from inhousepharmacy.com

It didn't help dramatically, but in my case an extra ounce was greatly appreciated. I find more benefit now that my daughter isn't nursing very frequently.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:02 PM

it didn't help me either. what has helped me is the "More Milk Special Blend" by Motherlove. it has goats rue which builds mammary tissue -don't quote me, though.. there's more info on the site.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:12 AM

No experience with IGT but here's the link to order More Milk products:

www.motherlove.com

I'm also going to bump the domperidone FAQ.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mama's, anyone else have experience?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 AM

I have low prolactin blood levels, not IGT.
I'm not sure how Dom would affect IGT, it affects Prolactin production. But here is my feeling on DOM, BFing and FF.

My milk supply dwindled when we had a medical issue going on.
I started Dom and I had 1 extra bottle a day pumped after my LO started eating solids that was great.
Then I started to back off on pumping and my milk supply went down.
I'm "barely" getting enough to feed LO right now, fortunately I have some in the freezer. This morning, pumping for 40min now - 1.5 oz.
When I think about the cost I've put into bfing, I really wonder if it is truly worth it this time around for me and my family
Pump Rental $185
Pump Purchase $180
Dom Purchase 1 $30
Dom Purchase 2 $40
Pump Parts & spares $25
Totals $460 this was from our grocery budget, it could not come from anywhere else!
My time away from my family pumping (I have 4 children) - this is really beginning to take it's toll on my household. IT's why I'm pumping 3X a day instead of the 5 or 6 I need too. I also can not get up in the middle of the night anymore, I am physically exhausted from the demands of LIFE inaddition to pumping. It's a love hate relationship right now and I often dread the pump.
I also have medical grade formula for fortifying my EBM due to protein intolerances, 1 of which is lifting which I expected. I don't use much and was hoping I would not need a case, I've bought 1 can on ebay for $15. And I have some samples from the doctor and 1 can from our hospital stay and I'm not going to say those are free b/c of the cost of driving, tolls, and co-pays, plus my time again away from the rest of my children and the stress of it all.
Due to protein intolerances and Celiac Disease in 2 of my children I have additional GF and DF foods cost for me bfing the gluten intolerant baby, in addition to our Celiac ds2.
I can't put a figure on the benefits of bm, I also can not put a figure on the absence of me from my other children while I pump. But I wonder, my bm is low in iron since I'm deficient, I'm on thyroid meds, so that residue is in there, I'm taking DOM more meds, I'm taking allergy meds started this week could not live w/o them, so that is in my bm. If I eat something I'm not supposed to that is in my milk and will make him sick. Is my BM the best thing for my baby with all this crap in it???
I can say DOM purchased in smaller quantities cost more and for me right now I'm out, but if I had it the cost per day would be $2.40 for just the standard starting dose of 3pills 3X per day. I don't have enoug money extra in our budget to buy a large quantity at a time, not many people do.
The cost of powdered milk based formula per day would be .60. The hypoallergenic semi-elemental formula would be $1.35 per day.
If you are not loaded or have extra, I can see FF is cheaper than pumping and feeding when a milk supply problem exist. Benefits of Bfing set aside due to the inability to quantify a number to them.
Does DOM work? Yes, for me it did, but I do have low prolacin levels. It took about 5 days for it to really kick in and I knew it, if I forgot to take it. Is it worth it? Only you can decide.
Just from the understanding of breast tissue etc. I am not sure DOM would work for IGT. It might increase the production of the glands you do have by increasing your prolactin levels. But I'm not sure about that.
It might be worth a try to you.
I'm still plugging along w a pump and fortifying my ebm for my baby. I'm waiting on my 2nd order of DOM. I'm nearly certain it will be my last order and when my milk is gone that will be it. My LO is nearly 8 mo old now and I'm beginning to resent my absence from my children's lives attatched to the pump. "can we go now?" "No, mommy has to pump first." "are you coming to bed tonight?" "not now dear, I have to pump." "Mommy, baby's crying, you need to feed him." "not right now, I can't, I'm pumping."
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Electra- I felt the same as you about pumping and about the cost of pumping.. it was actually my husband who finally asked if we were really saving money by breastfeeding versus just using formula between pump rental, supplements, pump accessories (i tried every one!), lactation consultants, and weight checks..
Old 09-10-2007, 07:22 PM

I didn't mean to spout off, I'm just really distraut about my supply, my bleeding problem, my biting baby when I do nurse, the FTT, just everything and then to add up all the expenses and it's like a really
I almost miscalculated formula cost -- 5 cans at about $10 last 30 days, for me w/ my first that is what it cost. So that is $1.60 per day for the cheap stuff.
Right now we're fortifying w the $35 per can stuff and 1 can last about 30 days. Maybe I feel better know about pumping and the expense I put into it - baring in mind I can't put a $$$ on bm.
Sorry to over take the thread...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

electra, please don't be sorry! these are some of the exact issues i am debating now. i have a 5 yr old and 12 month old, so i am dealing with the "worth it" issues too. i already feel like i don't give my TWO kiddos enough time and energy, so adding a 3rd plus all the bf challenges and it seems overwhelming. balance and the big picture are important me, that is just so hard find when you are in the center of the storm.

thank you for being so real and honest with your experience.

screaming baby at my feet...more later

sarah
Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 PM

globaldrug.tv is where I got mine from. It didn't help my supply much, and caused huge headaches. You need to take a seriously high dosage to get the lactation side effects, and it was just horrible. goats rue is HUGE for IGT. I took loads of MMSB from motherlove and had a lot of luck. milkshare yahoo group may also be helpful.

hh2.gif

Old 09-10-2007, 08:00 PM

Just saw this thread in passing... I've been prescribed it for reflux after a horrible experience with Reglan (facial rigidity) because it does not cross the blood brain barrier.

Just wondering if insurance will cove it since it's illegal. (Was surprised to find that out when I got home and looked it up.)

Also, does it cause any of the problems that Reglan can cause? And, I don't mean the ones they cite for keeping it illegal. I mean issues with dopamine. Such as Restless Legs.

I hope these questions are relevant to the original poster's request for information since the drug does affect dopamine. Electra375 mentioned possibly being low in iron, and I've read that that can cause Restless Legs which have been attributed to issues with dopamine. Would that then cause low milk supply, too?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

I do not have any side effects with domperidone. I get migraines, but I always have, they don't seem any worse with dom. I am currently on 130 mg per day, weaning down from 150 mg.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 PM

I did get a headache on DOM, but only when I think I took too much OR when I was needing to pump. I've gotten headaches before when it was merely my body telling me I had milk and no one taking it.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imvishta View Post

Just wondering if insurance will cove it since it's illegal. (Was surprised to find that out when I got home and looked it up.)
Dom is fully legal. You have to get it at a compounding pharmacy. However, I've found it's much cheaper online. I get it from clickremedy.com

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM

Just a little thing to look into if you feel you need to -- InHouse ships from New Zealand and we assume the meds are coming from New Zealand or Australia.

Where are ClickRemedy meds coming from, what is there origin? If it's cheap, it may very well be coming from China or India at which point I would not get it there for myself. The question comes to mind "How does WM do their $4 prescriptions?" And the answer, while I have not confirmed it, almost has to be China.

I grew up in Latin America, I have no problem with meds from Mexico, El Salvador or Honduras, there are manufacturing plants in those 3 countries from some big name Phara companies like Wyeth. All my medications growing up came from El Salvador or Honduras, 1 from Germany when I was really little.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

i checked clickremedy and is is $9.50 for 100 tablets while inhouse is $30 for 100. i wonder why there IS such a huge difference?

sarah

User Tag List