Pumping Pain & Malformed Nipples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've been pumping 3 times a day in anticipation of going back to work next week. After almost a month of pumping- I am now only averaging 4ounces total. Anyway, pumping still hurts and what's worse it seems is that it is changing the shape of the areola and nipple in a way that is making it hard for DD to latch on. She get's very frustrated and it almost seem like a struggle to convince her that it is a nipple. She almost refuses to suck the same way she acts with a pacifier. When I nurse lying down it easily "falls out" of her mouth.

Anyone else with this issue?

I pump at the lowest setting, pump & style, 30mm flange. It doesn't drain my breasts completely and with the new nipple shape neither does my baby.

Thoughts? This is starting to feel counterproductive.

I'm already sad that I am unable to keep DD purely on breastmilk when I go back. 4oz is too little to leave while I am gone.
#2 of 7 Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Could you turn up the suction on the pump? Would that help you get more milk? Or are you afraid that will distort your nipples even more?

Does the 30 mm flange seem big enough?

Are you nursing her right after you pump, or are you allowing enough time for your nipples to sort of get back to a regular shape?

Wish I knew what to tell you, sounds tough.
#3 of 7 Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM

If I'm reading correctly, you are pumping while nursing full time. Remember, when you work, you will be missing feedings which means much more milk. Many moms can;t pump much at all w/o missing a feeding. No ideas of the nipple distortion thing thugh, sorry!
#4 of 7 Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Pumping in addition to nursing the baby is a whole lot different than pumping when you are away from the baby. When you are away, you'll pump what she doesn't get to eat, you know? TOTALLY DIFFERENT than pumping in addition to full-time nursing.

I have been pumping for almost a year now, and I get an average of 4 ounces total per pumping session. DD takes 4 ounce bottles when I am at work. Now that she's a year, she wants a bit more in her last bottle to go to bed for the night (I work nights) so we have been adding a little whole milk.

But, I have always only gotten 4 ounces at that's been just fine for us for a year.

Can you try other horns? Another pump? Did you have flat nipples, by any chance? I did, and it made nursing and/or pumping very painful for a while. Things got better around 3 months, though.
#5 of 7 Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Good point on the pumping IN ADDITION to nursing. I guess I will see what happens next week when I go back to work. All my ducts don't drain though when I pump which is annoying b/c i will have that one extra hard painful duct I can feel in my breast that stays hard as a rock (actually more like a branch really) that won't drain with the pump or the baby Grrrr...

Turning up the pump hurts even more. 30mm is the largest size that I know of. but I pump at least an hour or so after I feed her to give my breast some time to rest.

Betsy- good to know you were able to last a year. Yes I started with completely inverted nipples so it was a challenge from the start and it took me 2 months and a lot of just laying in bed marathon nursing to get my milk to come in fully. Pumping was too excruciating in the beginning so after many attempts I had to stop. I just restarted a few weeks ago in desperation to keep breast feeding her while I went back to work.
The weird shape of my nipples and swollen areola don't help though.
#6 of 7 Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM

I have a hard time pumping and getting it all out due to prior breast red. surgery, but I found this time around that I get much better let downs and get much more emptied with manual expression...And it really doesn't take that long, just took mastering the technique. I didn't discover I could do it until we were out and about w/ no pump and DD wasn't nursing every 20 minutes like usual b/c we were out and about. I was wock hard and had a Dixie cup and my hand, so I tried it and lo and behold the milk came flying out, got a good letdown and pumped 4 plus ounces like it was nothing Now I'm good at it and can squirt w/ aim DS often asks for milk and sits with his mouth open as he's lost his latch It might be worth trying for that hard spot, as of course is warm compresses, differet positions (try on all 4s over baby at a different angle I think its her nose and forehaead towards full duct to better draaw it out) - Forgive me if you've tried all this already
#7 of 7 Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a video that shows manual expression? I don't quite understand the pictures and the descriptions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page