PCOS and Low supply: Shatavari? Goat's Rue? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting to dry up with the little breastmilk I have. I have always had low supply with my preemie so I have been breastfeeding and formula feeding. Fenugreek, fennel and blessed thistle haven't really made much a difference like bountiful quantities of breastmilk! Reglan increased it but not as much as I would have liked, but I started hallucinating on it so I am not too interested in taking it again.

I started taking Shatavari tincture Thursday night and was so excited I found it! Has anyone taken it? How well does it work? How does it compare to Goat's Rue? What do you think of me taking both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 AM

I am not familiar with Shatavari, but I have heard things about the GR and bf w PCOS. Is your PCOS being managed? Are you on glucophage? Are you supplementing and is so are you using a bottle or an SNS?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean about managing PCOS? Glucophage does not work with me as I am not insulin resistant, my type of PCOS is genetic. Yes I am supplementing with formula by using bottles although DS prefers nursing. We can't afford the initial expense of a SNS system right now. DS was getting about half of his needs met from me and then the other half was from formula about 18-26 oz of formula.

It isn't my goal to try and provide all of his needs but I am drying up or he is on an eating spurt (10.5 months) and I am not keeping up lately. Nothing has changed other than he is wanting more and I am not producing more. So what have you heard about PCOS and goat's rue?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:49 AM

I am currently using goats rue. I do not have PCOS but I have insufficient glandular tissue. It seems to have helped a bit. I still have to supplement with formula (aprox 20 oz/day) but a few extra drops is soooo worth it. I like the GR from Motherlove in the liquid form. I still take special blend from motherlove to help with supply. At this point, I am willing to try anything to make more milk!!!!!

I have used an SNS and gave up on it due to the stress of having 3 other children who needed my attention. I exclusively pump these days.

Hope the goats rue works for you!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to try Goat's Rue from Wishgarden Herbs http://www.wishgardenherbs.com/index.php?load=pregnancy&group_id=7#Goat's%20Rue%2 0Lactation%20Aidit is like $10 and way cheaper than MotherLove and I have used Welcome Womb from them as well. I trust their products.

That is so hard to be pumping and I totally commend you for that. I pumped exclusively for 2 1/2 months and it hurt so bad, breastfeeding felt much better! I tried to pump a couple months ago and nothing came out. Even when I was pumping exclusively I had a really hard time getting all the milk out. So I am impressed with you!!

I just won an auction at eBay for a Medela SNS and looking forward to trying it out!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

I have been taking the Shatavari since Thursday and my breasts are fuller and I am starting to feel some tingling when Noah cries. I haven't felt that hardly at all since he was born and not in a looooooonnnnnnnnnngggggg time.

Also I can feel that stripping feeling from my chest to the nipple along the sides of my breasts from my chest, you know what I am talking about? Like after they have nursed for awhile and it feels like they are sucking through tiny straws in your breasts. Not sure what that is called, but it has been awhile since I felt that too.

Shatavari is supposed to be an aphrodesiac and my husband has been looking forward to that aspect, but that hasn't worked yet! Much to his dismay. I bought they stuff Thursday night and had one dose, he was like, "Is it working yet?"
Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 AM

The lactation consultants in my area frequently recommend a combination of Goat's Rue and More Milk Plus for Moms with PCOS.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM

I use the blend I get from here:

www.kerrysherbals.com

I have what I believe is PCOS myself and have always had low milk supply havingto supplement.

It has goats rue in it,...I have not tried the other meds for growing mamaory glands personally....I stayed away from medications, because I am anti meds unless it is a last resort #1, and #2 the one med (DOM?) isn't for people with heart conditions and that runs in my family so I have opted to stay away from it.

If that loink doesn't work, google kerry's herbals and it shuld come up

BTW if you spend $25.00 at her store you get FREE shipping!! I usually get the big bottle of the blend, then I order a soap or two to push it over that $25 limit
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendaironi View Post
I have been taking the Shatavari since Thursday and my breasts are fuller and I am starting to feel some tingling when Noah cries. I haven't felt that hardly at all since he was born and not in a looooooonnnnnnnnnngggggg time.

Also I can feel that stripping feeling from my chest to the nipple along the sides of my breasts from my chest, you know what I am talking about? Like after they have nursed for awhile and it feels like they are sucking through tiny straws in your breasts. Not sure what that is called, but it has been awhile since I felt that too.

Shatavari is supposed to be an aphrodesiac and my husband has been looking forward to that aspect, but that hasn't worked yet! Much to his dismay. I bought they stuff Thursday night and had one dose, he was like, "Is it working yet?"

what is this? is this a medication? I have never hreard of it!!

the aphrodesiac property is enough to make me RUN , dh would love it here too, but doing THAT leads to you know WHAT
Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Shatavari is an herb. Please keep us updated; I have some but haven't tried it yet as you need to discontinue domperidone to take it.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I am going to try Goat's Rue from Wishgarden Herbs http://www.wishgardenherbs.com/index.php?load=pregnancy&group_id=7#Goat's%20Rue%2 0Lactation%20Aidit is like $10 and way cheaper than MotherLove and I have used Welcome Womb from them as well. I trust their products.

That is so hard to be pumping and I totally commend you for that. I pumped exclusively for 2 1/2 months and it hurt so bad, breastfeeding felt much better! I tried to pump a couple months ago and nothing came out. Even when I was pumping exclusively I had a really hard time getting all the milk out. So I am impressed with you!!

I just won an auction at eBay for a Medela SNS and looking forward to trying it out!
Thanks for the goats rue from welcome womb link. I am running low on Motherlove GR so I am going to order some from welcome womb as it is half the price!!!

I have no pain pumping or nursing. I know that pumping can be painful if the flanges are to small for your nipples. My probelm with nursning ds is that he doesn't suck hard enough. He used to then I guess he has given up since bottles are easier to draw milk from.

I hate pumping but, like I said, any way of getting my milk into his mouth is my goal!!!!! I am impressed with you that your LO is older than my LO and you are still nursing!!!! PM me if you ever need encouragement!!!! There are definately days I could use some!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:

This is great. I had never heard of this herb, so this thread has been a learning experience for me.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 PM

I am totally excited about this working for you and I would love you to write up your experience, dosage, etc for the PCOS BF blog if you would be interested! I have never heard of this herb.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I bought Shatavari Asparagus racemosus tincture at a natural grocery store and it is made by Herb Pharm http://herb-pharm.com/catalog/shatavari-p-314.html . I know that I have seen this brand of tinctures at the Vitamin Shoppe and Whole Foods, so they can probably order it for someone or you can buy it at Herb Pharm. Shatavari is an traditional Ayurvedic herb and it is my first experience with Ayurvedic, other than I was told I was a water. I think the effect my husband is looking for is starting to work!

doulamom: I did see that blend at Kerry's Herbals but I didn't know how much Goat's Rue was in it and I didn't want to waste time. The price is good for that blend and they have good products as well.

Basset: Wouldn't it be nice if there was a product where you can just pump directly into the babies bottle in their mouth? Like have you seen that bottle with a tube attached to a pacifier for hands free? It would be great if somebody made an attachment that goes from the flanges of the breastpump to a pacifier. Then you can hold & feed your baby and pump all at the same time. Pumping and then feeding baby takes up a lot of time.

Blondimom: It is a learning experience for me as well!

Ammaarah: I guess I better take some notes on my experience then!!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 AM

Tend- Sounds like a great idea and an amazing timesaver!!!! I am still trying to figure out where I will pump when I take the kids to Disney next week for their b-days. Hmmmmmm, does the "small world" ride have an outlet to plug into?!?!?!?! I am totally up for a challenge!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm into the Shatavari experiment for over a week now and I seem to crave the tincture when it is time for a dose, so it must be curing what ails me. Noah is also gulping a lot in the morning and the rest of the day I hear lots of swallowing. He seems to be a little surprised at how fast the milk is coming out. He used to grab some skin on my breast with his fist, pinch and basically maul me and that has reduced quite a bit since I have more milk. Would occasionally bite me too. I saw his first little tooth just break the surface so he had better not bite me because I am not sure about my commitment to breastfeeding when it comes to biting!

I have been able to cut down on one more bottle of formula and reduce the other 3-4 bottles from 6- to 5 ounces. I also just recently increased the Shatavari from 1 dropper to 2 droppers. So I am pleased with my progress.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Where are you ladies purchasing the Shatavari, and how much? I am weaning off domperidone and thinking about trying it.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:30 PM

http://lowmilksupply.org/

The above link is to Diana West and Lisa Marasco's website lowmilksupply.org. It is a sister site to BFAR.org. On the home page there is a survey for women who have taken Shatavari for at least two weeks. Perhaps you would be interested in completing the survey once you've been on it for two weeks.

http://lowmilksupply.org/herbalgalactagogues.shtml

The above link is to info on lowmilksupply.org about Shatavari and Goat's Rue (along with some other herbal galactagogues).
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I bought Shatavari Asparagus racemosus tincture at a natural grocery store and it is made by Herb Pharm http://herb-pharm.com/catalog/shatavari-p-314.html . I know that I have seen this brand of tinctures at the Vitamin Shoppe and Whole Foods, so they can probably order it for someone or you can buy it at Herb Pharm.
Just to clarify, you can order it at http://herb-pharm.com

George Bernard Shaw said, "I love quoting myself. It adds spice to my conversation!"
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeysRUs View Post
http://lowmilksupply.org/

The above link is to Diana West and Lisa Marasco's website lowmilksupply.org. It is a sister site to BFAR.org. On the home page there is a survey for women who have taken Shatavari for at least two weeks. Perhaps you would be interested in completing the survey once you've been on it for two weeks.

http://lowmilksupply.org/herbalgalactagogues.shtml

The above link is to info on lowmilksupply.org about Shatavari and Goat's Rue (along with some other herbal galactagogues).
Yes thank you that is where I got my original information, but I wanted actual experience from someone here. I will take the survey later this week or next week.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

For future women in search of Shatavari and FYI I know it's big!

Quote:
New Findings Vindicate Efficacy of Shatavari
(Asparagus racemosus), Traditional Medicine
by Lalit Tiwari
Shatavari is a versatile traditional plant used for a variety of serious diseases as also impotency of both the sexes. Shatavari means one 'who possesses a hundred husbands'. It is considered both a general tonic and a female reproductive tonic. Shatavari is the main Ayurvedic rejuvenative tonic for females. Shatavari is, however, also used for sexual debility and infertility in both sexes. It is also used for menopausal symptoms and to increase lactation.

Recent chemical analyses have now thrown some light on its efficacy. We give here references to a number of recent analyses of its multiple medicinal properties.
Quote:
Galactogogue:
Extract of shatavari has been shown to increase both the weight of mammary lobulo-aveolar tissue and the milk yield. This effect was attributed to the action of released corticosteroids or an increase in prolactin.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:10 PM

Found that same brand (Ayurceutics) cheaper here: http://vitanetonline.com/description...mins/Shatavari
And a different brand waaay cheaper here: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/webap...797&Ntk=Level1

(sorry for the long URL). It's $6.99 for 120 500 mg caps!!
I'm off the dom as of today (pumping the same amount here at work), so I will be ordering this today!

ETA, here is a coupon code for $5 off your first order: http://www.myjaco.com/dest?c=1034195&r=4
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am glad you found something. I personally prefer the tincture because it works faster and I have a hard time swallowing pills, but I also like cheap too!! I almost ordered it from Swanson's too!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:25 AM

I didn't know if you were aware of the Breastfeeding with PCOS blog, so I thought I'd post it.

Sounds like you're doing great. I noticed you said that Glucophage is not an option for you b/c you are not insulin resistant, so I did want to add that I have heard of people who do not test as insulin resistant having success nevertheless with Metformin/Glucophage, for ovulation purposes. It seems logical that it could also help non-IR PCOS'ers with lactation, as well. Just wanted to add that in case it helps anyone else reading this thread!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Nora'sMama: Thank you. What you said about Metformin and milk supply is great information that I am sure other PCOS women could benefit from hearing. Metformin did not help me ovulate, it just made me hate salads!!!

Yes I am aware of the Breastfeeding with PCOS Blog! It's in my favorites, I'm a big fan of Ammaarah! I didn't think I had the emotional ability to get over my revulsion of breastfeeding. She helped convince me to give breastfeeding a serious try even after I was having bad dreams about breastfeeding vampire babies! She also didn't think I was a freak either although my husband thought I needed counseling . When the baby came early, breastfeeding was an easy decision to make.

I got the SNS and Noah is VERY interested in the tubes and everything to the point of distraction. He also won't latch on with the tubing taped down so I have to get him latched on and then try and slip the tube in the side of his mouth. But he is accepting it and seems to be cooperating for the most part which is pretty cool because he is 11 months!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I also went from a 42D to a 42DD on 2 weeks of Shatavari! It's a miracle. I have no desire for a thousand husbands yet.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Hi guys, I recently found this thread and have too been taking shatavari. I have been on it 1 week and was wondering how long did it take before you noticed an increase? TIA
Old 11-15-2007, 10:23 PM

Metformin can be good for PCOS patients who are not insulin resistant, as well, including for milk supply (anecdotal evidence shows). You could try it. It's very safe for breastfeeding so you're not out much if it doesn't help.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hokigal: How fast it works would depend on how much are you taking and how often and are you taking capsules or tincture. I have been taking a tincture and noticed an significant (for me) increase in about 5 days. Tincture works faster than capsules because the it is more concentrated. I have not been doing so well lately and my supply has been down again because I am having a problem with my gallbladder. So I will have to start all over again when I get past this situation.

mchalehm: Thanks for the advice about Metformin as someone with PCOS could read it and find that it is the right thing that works for them. I prefer to stick with Shatavari and probably try Goat's Rue. I don't want to take medication anymore.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed an increase in milk on day 3 this time, but I am taking 1 dropperful 3x a day.

User Tag List