11-month growth spurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS will be 11 months old this week. He's been chubby and happy on quick nursing sessions, until this week. Now he wants to nurse for an hour at a time when he nurses, and my nipples are sore; I can't tell if my supply has dropped, or if he's just getting ready for a growth spurt.

I'm both small and active, and dropped below my pre-pregnancy weight a couple of months ago, which makes me wonder if there's a critical weight for me at which my milk supply will drop. I'm trying to eat well, but I haven't felt truly hungry in days, and I am starting to feel worn down.

DS eats a good selection of real food, but not much at once. He's cruising and standing alone, and really quite active.

So do I treat this like a growth spurt and just offer him food often and let him at it when he wants to nurse, or is this cause for me to see a doctor? If it comes to medical professionals, is a nurse-midwife the right one to ask to see? I haven't met my PCP in years...

Is this normal timing for a growth spurt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-04-2007, 01:06 AM

I'd make sure you're eating and drinking enough and let him nurse as much as he wants.

-Angela
#3 of 3 Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM

I was about to ask a similar question...my DS is 11 months old too and seems to want to nurse CONSTANTLY for the last week or so. He is ALWAYS rubbing his head all over my boobs asking to nurse. He would nurse every 10 minutes if I would let him. I haven't lost any weight or done anything else that makes me think I could have had a big drop in supply, so I don't know what is going on other than that he is getting his first tooth and maybe he is just wanting to nurse for comfort?

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page