Upper lip tie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-11-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy has a "tied" upper lip. The frenulum up there is so short that it looks like he has a double upper lip, if that makes any sense. It's real thick between where his front teeth will eventually be. Now, I've noticed this since birth, but remember being taught sometime that he'll likely fall once or twice as an infant/toddler and "break" it and problem solved. So it's never bothered me.

Here's my question: Connor has had LOTS of nursing problems and we've been struggling all along to keep him at the breast. Some of his problems have stemmed from an airway malformation and a swallowing disorder. But he continues to grow painfully slow. It's only just now ocurring to me that maybe, just maybe, his short upper lip could be affecting his latch and his ability to transfer milk?? I have a great supply, I pump on average 20-30 ounces a week more than he drinks, so we've known all along that my supply isn't the problem.

Has anyone heard of a short upper lip frenulum being a problem? Any suggestions on who to take him to for an eval? A dentist? An ENT? Speech therapist? He's been seen many times by ENTs and speech therapists, no one has ever mentioned this.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#2 of 4 Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add, too, that he "clicks" while nursing, always has. We've never been able to figure out why he does that, obviously he's breaking suction somewhere/somehow, but none of the lactation consultants, therapists, or drs have been able to figure that out (and we actually did a FEES swallow study WHILE HE WAS NURSING and they still couldn't see how he was breaking suction.) Could it be that short upper lip??? Gosh, this never ocurred to me until today...

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#3 of 4 Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 PM

I think it's likely that is the lip tie that is causing issues. My ds2 was tongue tied and seems he's lip tied as well. The tongue tie was clipped by the midwife and greatly improved his nursing but didn't make it 100% better. He also clicked for months but doesn't anymore at 12mths. I actually came across somethings about lip tie when I was reading about being tongue tied that indicated it could cause problems, I didn't book mark the websties though.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#4 of 4 Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Dr. Palmer has some info.

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/pdf/Bfing_Frenum03.pdf

(note, some explicit pictures. If you just want the lip-tie slides, go to slides 43 onwards.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page