Breastfeeding with very very large breast - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 38 Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
DBZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm large breasted too (44h). I used the foot ball hold to start out with. I used pillows (real pillows not a boppy) to bring the baby UP to my breast. Many people who are small chested from my POV will tell you to roll up a receving blanket and stick it under your boob. I'd suggest avoiding that. It just adds more steps and is a PITA IMO. The pillows can completely support the baby and you can use a finger to hold back your breast tissue from the babies nose.

After we mastered the football hold I learned a variation on the cradle hold. I'd use a pillow, folded padded sling, hoodie, etc. to bring her up to the right level and latch her on. I used a finger to keep her nose clear. This is the position I usually used to nurse in public.

Nursing in bed is a breeze for many large chested moms. Angle the baby so the but is a little closer to you then the head and you won't have to worry about anything. To switch sides just roll towards the baby enough so she can latch.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
K cup here.

I have to say...football hold saved me...

I *can* nurse in cradle (in fact I often due when we are out in public) but with my breast size I can literally put her on my lap, and drop my breast into her mouth and she can nurse facing up...and have a boob blanket...

Not the way a c cup would nurse, but it works for us.
#33 of 38 Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM

For the first two+ months, I could only nurse in the football hold, with the breast-side hand holding the baby's head (arm resting on a pillow) and the other hand holding the breast in a "sandwich" to a) keep it from suffocating the baby and b) allow me to see the baby's face. The cradle hold was impossible until he was better at latching himself. I was able to side-lie around 2 months, but certainly not to sleep; I still needed to hold my breast and use my other arm to position him -- sometimes even less comfortable than just sitting up. I was so jealous when I visited a small-chested friend postpartum and she could just latch the baby on (under a cover, no less!) and then have both hands available to do whatever (mostly read books to and cuddle her 2-year-old) -- I had to have a full view and both hands for weeks.
#34 of 38 Old 01-10-2008, 05:12 PM

For those of you who were successful w/ football hold, I'm still not getting how you were able to see the nipple and the baby's mouth to get a latch? When DS was in football hold, all I could see was the top of my breast-- when my bra is off I can't see my nipples if I look down while sitting up, and of course his head was completely 100% covered by my breast, so I couldn't see his face or my nipple at all unless I twisted my neck around. And then once he was latched, I couldn't tell if he had breathing room at his nose because I again couldn't see his face unless I twisted my neck around. Did you all use mirrors, or did you somehow do it by feel?

I see the PP is talking about holding the breast in a "sandwich"-- so you're saying that when you did that (which I always did, too) it actually made your breast small enough that the baby's head was visible? Even a newborn?
#35 of 38 Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
For those of you who were successful w/ football hold, I'm still not getting how you were able to see the nipple and the baby's mouth to get a latch? When DS was in football hold, all I could see was the top of my breast-- when my bra is off I can't see my nipples if I look down while sitting up, and of course his head was completely 100% covered by my breast, so I couldn't see his face or my nipple at all unless I twisted my neck around. And then once he was latched, I couldn't tell if he had breathing room at his nose because I again couldn't see his face unless I twisted my neck around. Did you all use mirrors, or did you somehow do it by feel?

I see the PP is talking about holding the breast in a "sandwich"-- so you're saying that when you did that (which I always did, too) it actually made your breast small enough that the baby's head was visible? Even a newborn?
I held the baby with one hand, below and a few inches in front of my breast, so I could see him. With my other hand, I lifted my breast up with some pressure inward so my nipple was pointed forward and I could see it, and then I brought the baby in toward the nipple. By the time he latched, I couldn't see most of his face anymore, but because I was able to see both his mouth and the nipple before bringing him in toward me I could aim pretty well. The only way I knew that he had breathing room at his nose was because I held my breast throughout the feeding, so my fingers were close enough to kind of probe and check.
#36 of 38 Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Thank you! That is much easier to picture.
#37 of 38 Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 PM

I have huge boobs, don't have a clue other than "bigger than G by a long shot" of how big, now that my milk came in... They used to be just a little bigger than G when DD was born, but... now not even close.
Anyhow,
When DD was born (unwanted, unnecessary C/s) we started out with a football hold, but not like the pictures in the books. I was at about 45 deg angle, dd was at a 45 deg angle the other direction, I used pillows (and other people;s hands sometimes) and kind of pinched my nipple and held DD WAAY far out away from me so she didn't suffocate. (here is picture: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...yu/Cora070.jpg ) This was before milk came in, though, so.. imagine that plus 2 cup sizes a few days later!
My boobs were about 2/3 times the size of DD's head.... and she was an 8 pound baby! Now that she's bigger, they're only 1.5 times as big as her head.

After we got home, I developed this way of feeding her, which was:
I slouched/leaned back on couch, (with pillows behind my back) and kept DD's head at the right place with my leg (I put my foot up on the couch-- had to sit an an angle for this) and used one hand to smoosh the boob and keep it away from her nose, and the other hand to pinch the nipple and smoosh it into her mouth.

Also, my dd doesn't like conventional positions (i think because she usually can't breathe in them 'cause of my boobs) she likes sitting up on the bed when I lay down, and then she leans over to get to the boob without too much smooshyness, and she likes laying sideways on my belly while I lay on my back, and she can eat that way (I guide the nipple to her mouth by feel, by the way... can't see.) I pinch my nipple/areola with my thumb and index finger, and with my pinkie and ring finger, I find her mouth, and then SMOOSH.
That usually works.
Also, dd likes to sit straddling one leg, and I sit up very straight, and then hold her sitting up with my arm while I guide the nipple to her mouth (again with the hand-searching method. I gave up at really looking to see, it hurts my neck.
Also, with the leg-straddle thing, that only works on chairs, sitting on the edge, not on the couch. I think maybe some of this needs drawings to show you what I mean. Anyhow.

We also use the ring sling to hold her at the right level and do football that way. I am going off the draw some pictures.

Oh! and by two months, baby learned to use her fist to keep the boob away from her nose... so I only have to do that part half of the time.
#38 of 38 Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c.../positions.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...positions2.jpg

oh, and also, when they start getting bigger, it generally gets MUCH easier.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page