pink, swollen areolas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need some suggestions: one of my patients is having some serious issues w/ painful nips/areolas. She is a brand new bf'ing mom (I'm talking 2 days) and is sleeping w/ ice packs on her boobas. We have done the typical lanolin, colostrum, etc. And she needs something more. Her latch and technique seem to be OK, but something is not right. And the LC won't be in till 9am. Soooo... any suggestions at 2am?
I was thinking cold wet teabags, right?
Anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 02:05 PM

Its past 9am, so I imagine the LC has seen her by now. Is she newly postpartum? Are her nipples cracked and/ or bleeding? How is her latch?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

yes, but thanks for responding anyway...
i worked with her last night, and her latch was beautiful. the prev night she was a bit tender, but better withing a few sucks when the nipple was drawn back on the infants palate.
as far as mama's skin, there was no breakdown, just this terrible pink puffy skin. areola and nips, both breasts.
i remember her saying that it hurt terribly to nurse her son, and that she still did for about 6mos before her supply dried up r/t returning to work and pumping.
so we discussed things to make bf'ing more comfy, and also what to do if she starting dropping supply, etc, etc. the typical stuff i go through with all my bf'ing moms.
gosh, I wish that i had the time right now to get my ibclc. i wanna do this full time.
*sigh*
i plan to call the hosp later and talk to the lc, to see what her thoughts are. she is a friend, and i love to pick her brain.

User Tag List