Mothering Forum banner

I'm exhausted and thinking about supplementing, coming here first

561 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ammaarah 
#1 ·
I don't think my 7 month old dd is getting enough milk from me. Her weight checks have been bad, started out at 20 percentile at 2 months, 10 percentile at 4 months, and now she is down to around the 3 percentile at 6 months. Her doc suggested I mix formula in with her cereal. I really didn't want to buy a tub of formula to mix 2 ounces a day and have it sitting there as a temptation to my DH and I in the middle of the night, so I didn't. Instead I decided to try getting her to eat more from me. She had been sucking for about 3 minutes and then letting go with a yell and then frantically trying to eat more with a little suck suck and then letting out another scream because there was nothing there. Switch to the other side and she was fine eating for about 3 minutes and then the letting go and yelling would start again. So I worked on getting her to eat longer to try upping my supply, which she is doing. I can hear her swallowing for awhile and then she just keeps going and eventually I'll get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th... letdown. I'm doing this to increase my supply but I don't think its working like I thought it would. While she is getting more, I think, she is just eating constantly. I was hoping by doing this she would get more at the beginning of the feeding, not just eating all day and night. I may have been able to spend my days feeding my first child but I can't do that now that I have a 4 year old that needs me as well. Even if I could its so exhausting. I have read to let her eat until she lets go, well she NEVER lets go. I always have to break her. I usually give her 15-20 minutes on each before I break her. She is usually sleeping at this point. I then go to lay her down for a nap and she wakes right up and thinks that was her nap. So not only am I constantly feeding her I'm never getting a break from her either. Night time is the same thing, every 2 hours or so she wakes up to eat and spends about an hour eating. I feed her in our bed but I'm not sleeping well, I'm uncomfortable feeding in bed and always scared my DH or I will pull the blankets up over our shoulders which would be over her head as well. I also have a dog I can't get out of my bed and in the winter time he seems to snuggle up closer where its warmer which is right where the baby is.

My only thoughts are she isn't getting enough to eat during the day, so she is eating all night as well. DH and I have been discussing starting a bottle of formula during the day, around 10:00 or so, then hopefully the next feeding I'll have more milk stored up for her and she can go longer until the next feeding at which time again I'd have more milk waiting, and so on. Will that even work, waiting longer between feedings = more milk at feedings? I feel like it either will if she empties the breasts or it will make more problems with cutting out a feeding = less milk.

See less See more
#3 ·
www.kellymom.com

Best breastfeeding advice on the web, in my opinion.

The amount of breastmilk that you make is regulated by the amount of nursing done on the breast. If the baby is not finished yet, and/or you are limiting time on the breast, you are effectively diminishing your supply. Nursing all the time (while insanely aggravating and irritating) is normal development for a 7 month old. It will get better and then around 18 months, may go back to ALL THE TIME again for a short while.

If you want to ensure your supply:

1) Stay hydrated and nourished
2) Nurse whenever the baby wants to for as long as the baby wants to (try wearing a sling to nurse while getting things done with your oldest)
3) Do not delay or cut feedings
4) Stay sane!! It does get better!

#4 ·
Another
to you.

Please check the stickie at the top of this forum for hints on upping your supply. Breast compressions are the easiest way to make sure your LO is getting the maximum amount of milk that you produce.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

has some good info on helping with weight gain.

Also, how large are you and your LO's father? If you are petite people, your babe might just be small
:

Another thought: are you charting your LO's weight on a formula chart, or a breastfeeding chart?

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbellydreams View Post
I feel like it either will if she empties the breasts or it will make more problems with cutting out a feeding = less milk.
I think if you cut a feeding, your breasts will probably feel fuller at that time for a few days but it will quickly lower your supply.

Your daughter was pretty petite from the start. But I understand you being concerned about the dropping percentiles. I think you might do well to take some herbs or even domperidone if you think you have a supply problem. Check kellymom for details. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.