nipple shield - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is 18 days old, and I have been using the nipple shield off and on to improve my daughter's latch. I was just wondering how long the nipple shield should be used. The insert says that the nipple shield should not be used longer than two weeks. Is continuing to use the shield safe for my daughter? When my nipples get really sore, I use the shield for a couple of feedings. I don't really want to give it up.
#2 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 08:34 PM

I would NOT use a shield unless the breastfeeding relationship is in peril without it.

It will mess up her latch.

It will cause a preference.

Eventually it will lower your supply.

-Angela
#3 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 PM

the shield won't keep you nipples fmr getting sore, havign a good latch will though. when was the last time you saw the lc who gave it to you?

i used to tell my clients that nipple shields were like training wheels. they're just to get you comfortable with the idea of doing it on your own.

how is her weight and diaper count?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#4 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would NOT use a shield unless the breastfeeding relationship is in peril without it.

-Angela
NOT TRUE. NOT TRUE. I get so sick of repeating myself. A NS will not mess up your baby's latch and will not cause your supply to go down.

Why did you start using a shield? Who suggested it to you and what were the instructions? If you do have actual latch problems you are working on then keep at it. If you can't stand the thought of giving it up right now then don't. Just be aware that there are much better ways to deal with nipple soreness than a shield.
#5 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valian View Post
NOT TRUE. NOT TRUE. I get so sick of repeating myself. A NS will not mess up your baby's latch and will not cause your supply to go down.
It certainly CAN mess up a latch. And it certainly CAN cause a reduction in supply.

I will agree- it's not a given.

I maintain I would avoid nipple shields unless the breastfeeding relationship were in danger without them.

-Angela
#6 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 12:49 AM

I used a nipple shield for 6 months.
#7 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just okay 2day View Post
I used a nipple shield for 6 months.
That's great! Did you have any trouble transitioning to just the breast? How did you go about weaning off the shield? Did you have any problems with supply?

-Angela
#8 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 AM

I have been using one for two months. I have tried without, he has nothing to grab onto. I was so anti-shield with my first because of all I had read here. If I had used them maybe I would have been able to bf instead of ep. My LC told me that some mothers have to use them during the whole bfing relationship. If you can do without, it is much better. While I am so happy I am now bfing, I will tell you it is quite a pain dealing with it. Those extra secons while you fiddle to get it placed correctly while your baby is crying seem like an eternity. They're always getting lost, and you have to clean them, and when you're out in public it's even worse.
#9 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
That's great! Did you have any trouble transitioning to just the breast? How did you go about weaning off the shield? Did you have any problems with supply?
I used the shields for 6 months, too. And, I did have heaps of trouble weaning her off the shield. It was like she had nipple confusion. I also did have trouble with supply, even though that's not likely with the newer silicone shields. I had to pump several times a day to help augment my supply. As far as weaning off it, she decided on her 6 month birthday that she no longer needed. She tore it off, latched on, and never looked back. Before that, I had tried latching every day several times without it and all kinds of other things and it was impossible. Probably doesn't happen to everyone or even most people, but it CAN certainly happen, especially with longer term use.

BTW, as she got older, the shield began to cause nipple pain and pinching. I'm not sure why. But, things greatly improved once she stopped using it.

As far as the OP question, I would only use it if absolutely positively necessary. There are other ways to improve her latch that I would say work better. There are also other ways of dealing with the pain. It all gets better fairly quickly. I would not risk the shield unless it were the absolute last option. It's also a major pain like what if you're out and forget it? Nursing at night, lying down is pretty much impossible. Since she can latch without it, watch her latch and do it as much as possible. Treat the pain with Soothies and Lansolin.

Seriously, it will be easier soon!
#10 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM

I used one for around six or seven weeks with dd AND did bottle supplements. Once she was ready, it took us about one week to transition off of it - I agree you should try to get a good latch without it, but it saved our bfing relationship... My LCs said the newer soft silicone ones aren't likely to affect supply, but I was pumping constantly, so can't speak to that... I do wish that there was more understanding here for their use when appropriate. I also did find it reduced pain when my nipples were hammered by yeast after long-term abx...
#11 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 10:44 PM

My sister did end up using them for a few days. She was able to get the baby to get a nice latch and gave them up as quickly as she could.
#12 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM

The nipple shield DEFINITELY messed up my daughter's latch, but that was better than not latching at all, which is what was happening. Once we were able to get off the shield, after a couple days she figured out what she was doing again. What really helped is a friend taught me proper positioning. We worry a lot about latch but not enough about positioning.

I think they're best avoided if the baby can latch without them. Otherwise they can be a good tool.
#13 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:

-Angela
Well, to be fair, it CAN do these things, not necessarily WILL. I used a nipple shield for two and a half months, due to one inverted and one flat nipple, and her not knowing how to suck. Eventually, we got the hang of it, and we nursed another ttwo and a half years without the shield. You just thave to be judicious in your use of it, and be alert for signs that it is interfering! Also, it did not lower my supply. At two months, while using the shield at every feeding, and at 18 months, I was able to squirt about 5 feet (my roomate and I used to have the lactating mama version of spitting contests )

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page