MRSA and breastmilk - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-19-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else in the MDC world had MRSA in their breastmilk? I have it, and it is SOOOO painful! None of the doctors I have seen or talked to really has any experience with MRSA in breastmilk, and it seems like they don't really know what to do with me.

I am worried about infecting the babes, and I really worry about exposing them to the antibiotics I'm on (it's the second course this month!). They have been exposed to so many meds already, between being in the nicu and then all the diflucan I was on to treat the yeast that turned out to be staph. Their pediatrician says that it should be okay, but I worry about their livers and their systems having to clear all this extra stuff.

Also, I am so tired of being in pain all the time. this has gone on for almost 3 months, and my brain is absolutely scrambled from so much pain. I had yeast, and then staph and raynaud's, and then MRSA, and now the MRSA, raynaud's, and yeast (from all the antibiotics). The only thing I want to give my boys for Christmas is a healthy momma.

So sad and discouraged and in need of some cheerleading......
#2 of 9 Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 AM

B-6 I think can help Renaud's. Also sometimes something topical like gentian violet can help with yeast and even staph.

I would be more worried about them if they were getting breastmilk honestly. BUT MRSA is pretty scary.
#3 of 9 Old 12-19-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks; I will try the B6. We have done the Gentian Violet, and grapefruit seed extract, and diflucan, and acidophilus, and dietary changes. Unfortunately, while we were doing all that, yeast wasn't the problem.

They are getting breastmilk, but their pediatrician has assured me that the acid and flora in their guts will kill the mrsa, so they are probably not going to get infected with it unless I start rubbing breastmilk into open wounds or something (which, duh, I would never do even if they had open wounds).

As awful as the yeast is, I feel like it's the least of our worries now, and I almost feel like there's no sense in trying to treat it too aggressively until I'm done with the antibiotics (which I hope will take care of the infection). So in the meantime, I am just trying to slog through the pain, and we are being crazy about hygiene and sterilizing everything, and I'm taking acidophilus and GSE and applying both topically as well, in between the antibiotic cream.

What a mess! As soon as the infection is gone, we'll do a round of diflucan and gentian violet, which I hope will take care of the yeast; it did the first time. It is just so hard to manage all of this. I am trying so hard to keep a positive attitude and tell myself that it will be over at some point, but I am starting to lose hope.
#4 of 9 Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 AM

Hang in there Mamma!

Have the babies been swabbed for MRSA? The only times I've read of mums with MRSA mastitis is when they got it from the babies (who got it from the hospital), and it was passed back and forth through breastfeeding. I'd hate for you to get it cleared up only to be reinfected.

#5 of 9 Old 12-21-2007, 01:56 AM

Go, mama, go! (I can't find a cheerleading smilie, but I'm sending out all I've got!).

Sounds like you've really been through the wringer - your babies are so lucky to have such a smart and determined mama.

It seems like you're doing lots of the right things, exhausting as they are. The only thing that jumps to mind is whether it would be helpful to get your overall situation reviewed by someone like Dr. Jack Newman - there is a lot of complexity going on with twins, yeast, staph and MRSA. He might have some insight into how to improve your comfort level and prevent a recurrence of any of the complications.

Hope Santa brings some relief!

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#6 of 9 Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 AM

Do you have MRSA in your breast tissue or your breastmilk? BC it is two different things. A breast infection should not infect your milk supply. Sorry you are going through all this. If you clarify maybe I can find out more info for you.
#7 of 9 Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I am pretty sure that the doctor said the mrsa was in my breastmilk; that's what they cultured when they found it. I know it's pretty unheard-of; none of the doctors I talk to seem to know what to do. I may try to get in touch with Dr. Jack Newman if I can't get this resolved easily (ha!).

They levaquin seems to have worked, at least temporarily. I had four glorious pain-free days of nursing, and now the pain is back again, and I find myself hoping that it's yeast, as pathetic as that is. Thank you so much for the cheerleading and the encouragement. I am definitely feeling frustrated, but at least a little refreshed after a break from the pain. I am getting cultured again tomorrow, so we'll see what it turns out to be next week sometime.....
#8 of 9 Old 12-27-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrina View Post
I had four glorious pain-free days of nursing, and now the pain is back again, and I find myself hoping that it's yeast, as pathetic as that is. Thank you so much for the cheerleading and the encouragement. ... I am getting cultured again tomorrow, so we'll see what it turns out to be next week sometime.....
valkyrina,
My nephew recently got MRSA, probably while being treated in the ER for a cut on his foot. Christmas day he had a swollen lymph node and went to the doctor yesterday. We were all pretty relieved that he simply has strep.

So, here's hoping your MRSA is gone and something else is causing the pain. And that the pain is gone soon too.

:::::goodv ibes:::::: goodvibes:

Hang tough!!

~Cath
#9 of 9 Old 12-28-2007, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh, I am so sorry. It took me two hospitalizations for IV drugs and 3 courses of oral drugs to get mine gone, so I know what you're going through. s

I was reassured over and over again that staph will NOT transfer to the baby. And stopping breastfeeding right now is probably one of the worst things you can do in terms of healing. Hang in there.

Newman's protocol for Raynauds is to take 200 mg of B6 a day for four days and then drop back to 25mg thereafter- he says if there's no improvement in four days, it might not improve with B6. I find that warm compresses help, and so does making sure my nipples are never, ever cold. You can also try nursing in a warm bath.

I hope things work out better for you!

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page