White, dead-skin spots on nipples? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to search for images of cracked nipples on Google, but wasn't able to find anything. I'm wondering if that's all I have?

Both of my nipples have one or two little spots of dead, white skin on them. Right at the very, very end. It looks as though a small pore, the size of the head of a pin, has turned into a blister, then ruptured, leaving a tiny flap of dead skin. Is this a common thing? I just recently realized this is an ongoing occurrence, on both sides.

I've been nursing my firstborn for 3.5 months now, and still struggle with constant nipple pain. It's mostly from Reynaud's, but I'm wondering if the above could be causing some of the pain, as well. I just can't figure out what in thee heck it is. Any ideas?
#2 of 12 Old 12-29-2007, 02:00 AM

Milk blisters.. Its pretty common... I would pop them somehow.. With a sterilized needle.. or rub your nipple with a warm, wet wash cloth.. Or roll your nipple around between your fingers.. kellymom.com has some more info on them. I think they call them blibs or blubs or something.
#3 of 12 Old 12-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Kellymom - How do you treat a milk blister

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
#4 of 12 Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD_Mom View Post
Both of my nipples have one or two little spots of dead, white skin on them. Right at the very, very end. It looks as though a small pore, the size of the head of a pin, has turned into a blister, then ruptured, leaving a tiny flap of dead skin.

... and still struggle with constant nipple pain. It's mostly from Reynaud's, but I'm wondering if the above could be causing some of the pain, as well. I just can't figure out what in thee heck it is. Any ideas?

Hi, there!

I'm wondering if what you're describing might be some dried milk (I get something pretty similar if I get thrush) & a bit if thrush which can be similar to Reynaud's... You might try some OTC miconazole (Monistat) on your nipples to see if you get any relief. If you do, continue for about 2 weeks. There are also preventative measures you can take so it doesn't recur.

take care,
carla
#5 of 12 Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, mamas. I figured this was something common, as I've had a LC come and help me twice, and she never mentioned anything looked amiss.

This is definitely dead, white skin. Never seen a blister - only the remains of ones that have popped on their own. On one nipple it's a little line of dead skin, not just one dot - right along the ridge I get (I know I'm not supposed to have a pronounced ridge, but there is a bit of one). Hmm.

Anyhow, the KellyMom link is a big help. Thanking you!
#6 of 12 Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 PM

Hey there. I have something that sounds kind of like this. I have a white patch right at the end of my nipple that looks like dead skin too. This nipple is inverted but pops out during nursing and for a few moments afterward. It took a few months for the inverted nipple to come out and that was the first time I saw it. It looks like there is absolutely no blood flow to it at all. Right after nursing it is even a little transparent. At the beginning this area hurt like crazy but I think that was more because of a bad latch on an unruly nip! Anyway we are at 11 months and this patch is there all the time but doesn't really bother me. I have had mastitis on that side and a day long of blocked ducts but that is it! I never thought of Raynaud's. Weird.
#7 of 12 Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

jaxxy, that sounds like textbook Raynaud's to me! Dr. Jack Newman's idea of using B6 has seemed to help me a bit (see a little write-up here), but really what I do is to nurse while leaning against a heating pad and drinking a warm/hot beverage. Also I try to cover up that nip immediately after he lets go. If DS breathes on my nipple, even one cool breath, it can start the reaction.

What I'm describing is different than the white/clear Raynaud's colouring. I can peel off little tiny bits of dead skin.

But what's weird is mine are inverted, too. I have loads of nipple pain, and I think it's three things - the Raynauds, the dead skin thingies (which I really will get to the bottom of the cause of, really!), and the inversion thing. Because they tend to be "stuck" in the out position for a while after a feeding, which always used to cause pain before breastfeeding (say, if I were really cold while wearing a wet swimming suit and they got "stuck" out).

Anyhow, I wish you luck with the Raynaud's. I hurt for a little over an hour after every feeding. My life became immeasurably better once I started only offering one side per feeding. This way each side gets about four hours to heal up between feedings, instead of being tortured every two hours.
#8 of 12 Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 PM

I think I have the same thing... these little patches of white on the ends of my nips, and (sorry, this is really gross) I can actually pick out chunks of white stuff that looks like dead skin. It's on both sides, right in these cracks I have that won't go away.

I also have loads of nipple pain, and it turned out that a lot of mine was caused by thrush and then a staph infection. Every time I tried to show my doctor these patches, she said it was probably just dried milk. I didn't buy that, and when I finally got rid of the staph, the patches went away, too. hmmm.

I would recommend that you go get yourself cultured, just to be sure that you don't have anything really icky, like an infection. Persistent nipple pain should be enough of a reason for your dr. to do one. Good luck!
#9 of 12 Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply, Valkyrina. Staph infection in the nips sounds supremely horrible!

I started this thread as a sort of, "Oh, ho hum, I wonder what these dead skin bits are" thing. But now I'm starting to wake up and realize - maybe all this nipple pain I have can be fixed! I just deal with it, figuring it's an inverted nip/Raynaud's thing that will always hurt. But now I realize these picky-offy pieces of skin aren't right and could be causing it. I'm excited now to get to the bottom of it.

But what is this "doctor" thing you mention? Ha! I wish. No doctors to be had where I live. They're all filled up, not taking new patients. But that's another rant altogether.
#10 of 12 Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD_Mom View Post
But what is this "doctor" thing you mention? Ha! I wish. No doctors to be had where I live. They're all filled up, not taking new patients. But that's another rant altogether.
What!?!?!?! That is outrageous! Surely there must be some kind of clinic you can go to, or the ER, or something. Also, these doctors (especially OBs, it turns out), are not always that helpful. I officially know more than my doctors do about what is going on with me, but at least they admit it. So basically, I call them now and say "okay, we need another culture, and here's what we're looking for this time". It's pathetic how hard we have to fight in order to get adequate medical care. (Sorry; that's another rant, too). But good luck, and I hope you find someone who can help you out where you're at!
#11 of 12 Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 AM

Any LLL groups out there?
#12 of 12 Old 01-03-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

There are after-hours clinics here ("Doc in a Box," my family calls 'em - you never see the same doctor in there twice) and of course the ER. But as far as having a regular doctor who knows who you are, listens to you when you tell them what you know is wrong, does tests you know you need done ... Nope. DH has a family doctor but she refuses to see myself or DS. Says she's full. Guess who has never had a single well-baby visit?

I do attend the local LLL meetings. It's very formal; we only talk about the official topic for the evening.

I think there's a strong possibility thrush is causing my milk blisters. Sending DH to the holistic pharmacy tonight to pick up some Gentian Violet, and I already have Dr. Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Now, to sew more nursing pads so I stop wearing the same pair for two days in a row, underneath my one nursing bra that I wear for 3-4 days in a row. Gee, I can't imagine where I could have developed thrush ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page