Breastfeeding and going back to work in 3 weeks... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is now...8 weeks old (9 on wednesday!) She's never been supplimented however, we started trying to get her to take a bottle (from DH or family/friends) around 4 weeks old. She has a REALLY hard time doing it, and I'm terrified of when I go back to work. She actually just screamed/held out for 3 hours while I went to get my hair done this last week.

Right now I nurse on demand for her, and we dont have any supply issues I'm aware of (I can pump 4 - 10 oz in a sitting, often after feeding her).

Any suggestions for helping her with bottles? We tried one of the breast simulation bottles, Avent, and Dr. Brown...she tends to refuse all of them (and we are only using newborn nipples for flow control).

Also due to going back to work we are planning on co-sleeping to help her nurse....I'm having a harder time side nursing just getting it positioned (I'm busty and she's tiny...although she has great head control). Suggestions to make it easier or how to sleep and nurse her?
#2 of 2 Old 01-07-2008, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try a cup. Either with a sippy top or without. If you try the sippy top, you might want to get one that is just the plastic top, without a valve. If your daughter doesn't get the bottle she may not get one of those sippy cups that you really have to drag on to get anything out of. With a simple sippy or a plain cup, just tip a little bit into her mouth at a time.

Also, I'll mention that when I used to take care of my nephew while his mom was at work, he was never thrilled with the bottle. He never took more that 6 oz. during the 8 hours he was with me--he made up for it when he was with his mom.

As for nursing lying down, have you tried laying your baby on a folded towel or something else firm so that her little mouth is more in line with your nipple?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page