Alternatives to decongestants/milk supply issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a really bad cold. I went to the dr today and he thinks my cough is mostly due to all the drainage in my throat. He, of course, wants me to take a decongestant. My body is really touchy, everything affects my milk supply, so I'm hesitant to take anything. I'm wondering if there is a natural alternative. I've been taking a cold herbal supplement from wild oats twice a day that I got at wild oats. I don't have it with me, so I couldn't tell you what's in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 PM

I would just do the things you already know and are probably doing:
- drink lots of water and/or herbal teas such as chamomile (which is drying) or peppermint (which is soothing and opening)
- use a chest rub such as Badger Balm's congestion chest rub (like Vicks, but smells oh so nice) to help open your breathing up
- hot showers, humidfier in the house, etc.
You might also look up your symptoms and try a homeopathic remedy - maybe kali.bi.?
Hope you're feeling better without a perscription soon!
Melinda
#3 of 13 Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Just in case, you may want to look into Loratadine... it's the only cold medicine in Hale's book listed as an L1 for breastfeeding mamas with a cold.
#4 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM

Saline sprays & saline sinus irrigation can help to dry out your nasal passages too.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#5 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM

there is no medical treatment for a common cold really, deconjestants are simply a temporary fix for an irriating symptoms but they wont make your cold go any faster and they might make you feel yucky (they do for me). i would suggest letting the illness do its thing, drinking lots of warming fluids, resting, take some vitamin c if you want. a cold will not hurt you, though it may be uncomfortable.
#6 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Nasal Spray!!!!
#7 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM

Hope you feel better momma! I am still scared of them, but I know lots of mommas use Neti pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
there is no medical treatment for a common cold really, deconjestants are simply a temporary fix for an irriating symptoms but they wont make your cold go any faster and they might make you feel yucky (they do for me). i would suggest letting the illness do its thing, drinking lots of warming fluids, resting, take some vitamin c if you want. a cold will not hurt you, though it may be uncomfortable.
I have to say that sometimes colds do cause problems - if I don't treat the sinus congestion with a cold I have had them turn into sinus infections a few times... I need to keep my head cleared out or it does turn into something more serious.
#8 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Hope you feel better momma! I am still scared of them, but I know lots of mommas use Neti pots.

I have to say that sometimes colds do cause problems - if I don't treat the sinus congestion with a cold I have had them turn into sinus infections a few times... I need to keep my head cleared out or it does turn into something more serious.
yes indeed a common cold can turn into a full blown sinus infection which may need antibiotic treatment. my point was that i dont find personally that taking deconjestants helps in preventing more serious illnesses and having worked as a medical assistant in an internal medicine practice the usual response a doc at my clinic would have for a cold would be treat the symptoms if needed with tylenol or nasal spray for a few days (it can actually be bad to use it for more than a few days as people can become dependant on it) and get some r and r. return to the clinic if a fever or some other more serious symptom persists. i just wouldnt risk jepordizing my milk supply to relieve a stuffy nose. some might but for me i generally only take western allopathic meds if needed to save my life or if im in extreme pain ect.
#9 of 13 Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 PM

I'm with you on minimal treatment, arismama. I avoid stuff as much as I can and won't do decongestants. But, I would try other remedies (neti pot, steam, etc.) to alleviate congestion.
#10 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 AM

I have heard that peppermint can effect supply... (re: the suggestion to drink peppermint tea).

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#11 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

I just got over a bad cold myself and found that using a neti pot several times a day helped more than anything.
#12 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momasana View Post
I just got over a bad cold myself and found that using a neti pot several times a day helped more than anything.
:
#13 of 13 Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 AM

I second the recommendation for the neti pot. Everyone that uses these thinks they are wonderful. I am buying one for my husband today who is a chronic allergy sufferer, has sinus infections, and is always battling something respiratory.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page