MRSA & breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter passed away at 23 days old of pneumonia caused by MRSA . There is new research that shows MRSA can pass through breastmilk . If a am a carrier can I breastfeed this baby safely or not ? Thanks !!!
#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2beme23 View Post
My daughter passed away at 23 days old of pneumonia caused by MRSA . There is new research that shows MRSA can pass through breastmilk . If a am a carrier can I breastfeed this baby safely or not ? Thanks !!!
I am so sorry for your loss.

I think the first thing to do would be to check to see if you are a carrier. I think they swab your nose, among other places (or maybe I have been watching too much TV!) If you are a carrier, you can get treated.

Most often the baby picks up the MRSA in hospital, then gives it to mama by nursing, and then mama gets mastitis and gives it back to baby by nursing.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? I hope you can get it figured out soon. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please do not think your milk caused the loss of your baby. Breastfeeding was the healthiest option and newborns are simply at risk of everything because their immune systems are so immature. Breastfed babies are less likely to develop or die from pneumonia, so I think this was just a terrible tragedy that you couldn't have prevented. Many people are MRSA carriers and have no idea, and MRSA is everywhere. I personally would definitely breastfeed if I were a carrier as I'm sure the baby would end up a carrier as well, being in such close contact and probably colonized at birth anyways. Formula only weakens the system leaving them even more vulnerable to infection.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 AM

Do any of you have any links or citations?

I was just recently hospitalized for MRSA. Everyone knew I was breastfeeding, but no one mentioned any increased risk of illness to my daughter (14mo). I now have a plugged duct which I'm terrified will turn into mastitis-- but could that be a MRSA infection, if that happens, considering that my MRSA abscess was on my face?

This is really frightening to me. All they said was to sanitize everything but nobody said anything about my breast milk. Bah.
#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM

Lovely Rita: The only case studies I have read are with newborns, and they tested mum's milk and it was MRSA positive, BUT the baby was sick before mum got sick, so the transmission went hospital to baby to mum. This is also how the horrible epedemics of staphylococcus newborn deaths in the 1950-60s happened (hospital newborn nurseries were to blame.)

The only way mum would then pass it back to baby is if mum wasn't treated when baby was treated.

I'm so sorry that you had MRSA and had to be hospitalised.
#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM

OP: Sorry, I misread your original post. Did you ever have your breastmilk tested for MRSA with your first? I somehow read that they had linked your breastmilk and MRSA.

The transmisson pathway for all the MRSA infections in newborns that I have read about went from hospital to baby and then mum got mastitis - from nursing baby who already had the infection.

I hope that you can talk to your health care provider soon and get some answers about this, so you don't have to worry.
#7 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 AM

I had MRSA mastitis for six months while nursing. My baby was just fine. We did treat my carrier status, too.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby girl. What a terrible heartbreak.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page