Nipple pain - while pumping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son refuses the breast and so I have become an EP...however the last few days my nipples have gotten soo sore that I scream every time at the start of a pumping session on each side.
I have the lanolin - Lansinoh - lotion and have been using that at the end of each session, but there has been no improvement. I have also used milk to soothe them, but that doesn't seem to be helping.
SOmeone suggested larger flanges so I will look into that, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Lu married to DH, mom to DD Nov 2005, DS Sep 2007 and DD Nov 6, 2009
#2 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Larger flanges, lubricate the flanges (I used evoo but you'll need to decide that), set suction low. HTH
#3 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Is Evoo safe to use?
I was also told to use lansinoh before a session to use that as lubricant.

#4 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Is it possible that your cycle is returning? I usually have fierce pain a day or two before I start. Unfortunately, I don't know a remedy for that, I just have to get past the first few minutes and then the pain is better.

Angel , wife to Daniel :, mama to Astrid Lilith (11/01/06) and Leland Hunter (09/07/09)
#5 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM

your son is only four months old right? are you completly set on not breastfeeding anymore? can i encourage you to get some assistance with breastfeeding so you dont have to ep? it just #1 sounds so hard, so much more work than nursing and #2 most nursing problems can be fixed, there are lots of people who have probly seen whatever difficulties you and ds may be experiencing w/ breastfeeding and these folks could help you.
there are major benefits to baby and you for breastfeeding, and not just feeding ebm in a bottle.

either way, whatever the situation may be with your breastfeeidng troubles, what type of pump are you using? how often are you pumping? do you feel engorged, are there any areas of redness on your breasts, or sore spots besides the nipples? it could be thrush, which can give you shooting pains upon latching on or initiating the pump. i would encourage you to see a lactation consultant or La Leche League leader and discuss this.
#6 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
your son is only four months old right? are you completly set on not breastfeeding anymore? can i encourage you to get some assistance with breastfeeding so you dont have to ep? it just #1 sounds so hard, so much more work than nursing and #2 most nursing problems can be fixed, there are lots of people who have probly seen whatever difficulties you and ds may be experiencing w/ breastfeeding and these folks could help you.
there are major benefits to baby and you for breastfeeding, and not just feeding ebm in a bottle.

either way, whatever the situation may be with your breastfeeidng troubles, what type of pump are you using? how often are you pumping? do you feel engorged, are there any areas of redness on your breasts, or sore spots besides the nipples? it could be thrush, which can give you shooting pains upon latching on or initiating the pump. i would encourage you to see a lactation consultant or La Leche League leader and discuss this.

Thank you for your suggestions, however I have consulted with a lactation consultant and she is also at a loss as to what is happening.
I breastfed my DD for 15+ months and did wonderful with her - I also did pump when I returned to work so she could have expressed milk while I worked. I never had the soreness issues with her then again I was not pumping round the clock.
My son has refused to nurse and I at first thought it was a plain old nursing strike, however he would return to the breast and then refuse it again and the breaking point was when he got sick with RSV - I did not want to add to his stress by continuing to try to coax him back. His latch was excellent from the beggining, however he was in the NICU and had the extra strength suction apparatus used in hospital and I wonder if this had something to do with it. He nursed well up until around 3 months which also coincided with the holidays and additional stress on our household.
Both the LC and I thought that this would be the next best thing.

#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 AM

I would begin by trying the larger flanges. You may have damaged soe of the tissues inside the nipple and around the nipple. A larger flange may stress the area less. Ameda has a brochure that has pictures showing what it looks like when the flanges are too small.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page