Bottle woes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Other Mothers!
I wonder if anyone else has had problems getting their breastfed babies to accept a bottle. DS is 7 weeks old and I have pumped out & stored a few servings of milk for him to eat whenever I'm not with him (which hasn't happened yet...)
My husband and I thought we'd try giving him a bottle of the breastmilk to see how DS would take it for when we're not with him. We've tried two different times, different bottles, and it's been really horrible! He cries like he's being tortured and chokes and gulps air. I wanted dh to give him the bottle b/c I heard that it would confuse the baby to have me give it. He seemed like he was doing it right, being slow with it and taking it away when the baby coughed, but it was just terrible and I could barely watch. It makes me never want to try it again, but that would mean never being away from the baby, and I know I will want to eventually.
Does anyone have any advice on techniques, different bottles, etc???
Thanks,
Bess

Lovin' up my Solstice son b. 12/07 and my HBAC Autumn daughters b. 10/10 and 9/12!

#2 of 9 Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM

Do you need to return to work?

I chose not to use bottles at all with dd. It worked fine for us. I didn't really want or need to get away from her until she was okay for a few hours.

-Angela
#3 of 9 Old 02-11-2008, 06:57 PM

What kind of bottles have you used? Who has tried to give them to him? Were you in the room?

What worked for us was the platex disposable bottles with newer, slowflow, naturallatch nipples. DH gave them to DS with me in the other room and he took it just fine.

While it is ideal to exclusively nurse, I could never count on my son being okay for an hour or two for a very, very long time. It was comforting to know that he could have both his sucking and mama milk needs taken care of in the arms of another loved one at any time when I wasn't available. (I did work, but I won't be this time, yet I do plan on pumping a little for this little one, too, JIC)
#4 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 AM

I had the opposite problem... DD took the bottle so well she didn't want to BF when I returned to work... The best I've found for going back and forth between breast and bottle are the BreastFlow bottles (they have two nipples, an outer clear one and an inner blue one). My SIL borrowed one to try to get her DD to take a bottle, and it worked for her too, so she went and bought some of her own.

Good luck (though not too much luck) ;-)
#5 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM

When my dd was 7 weeks old, I was scared into introducing a bottle by some well-meaning acquaintences who were shocked that she hadn't had one yet. They believed I would be "locked" into having to take my baby everywhere for months since I hadn't allowed myself the freedom of a baby who took pumped milk. After spending an evening with them, I was convinced, too. It was already too late - my dd didn't take any type of bottle from anyone.

Ultimately, I found that it didn't really matter. I actually was able to leave her for short periods at a time when I knew she wouldn't be hungry. Dh and I went out to a movie when she was less than 3 months old, and she was still fine when we got back because she could already go 3 hours without a feeding. I wasn't working, so for the most part I could take her with me anywhere I needed to go. Later, I did the same with ds. Exclusive breastfeeding doesn't have to be as hard as they say it is.
#6 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=kythe;1053135
I actually was able to leave her for short periods at a time when I knew she wouldn't be hungry. Dh and I went out to a movie when she was less than 3 months old, and she was still fine when we got back because she could already go 3 hours without a feeding. I wasn't working, so for the most part I could take her with me anywhere I needed to go. Later, I did the same with ds. Exclusive breastfeeding doesn't have to be as hard as they say it is. [/QUOTE]

LOL my high needs LO wouldn't go more that 2 hours betwen nursings/ bottles until she was on solids at 6 months. She never took more than 3-4 ounces at a sitting (from bottle or breast) They're all different. When she was young, my LO would not take a bottle from anyone but me. She knew where the milk was supposed to come from and it was not daddy. Once she understood that the bottle was milk she started taking it from daddy too. It also helps to play with different nipples (she hated the avent wide mouth nips) and don't wait until he's really hungry. Good luck and hang in there. As many of the pps have said if you dont "Have" to leave him for work I wouldn't stress too much. All of the perceptions my family members had about me "wanting" to have a "break" were fairly misguided... I just kept her with me.
#7 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody for the input! I feel so much better about the bottle thing-- I was feeling "pressured" by family who kept saying I should be getting ds used to the bottle, even though I am not going to work outside the home and also can't bear the thought of being apart from him for more than 3 hours. I just need to listen to my gut feelings about things, not what other people (family) think I should be doing with my baby. I didn't really want to give him a bottle at all! I guess in an emergency, ds would take one, but obviously that's a different story. No need to traumatize him trying to prepare him to take the bottle now. Guess I just need to calm down and listen to my instincts.

Lovin' up my Solstice son b. 12/07 and my HBAC Autumn daughters b. 10/10 and 9/12!

#8 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Bess View Post
I didn't really want to give him a bottle at all!
If you don't want to give a bottle- don't give a bottle.

My dd never had one. I had no urge to leave her. In fact the first time I left her for any time, even with her daddy, was when she was 18 mo old.

DH and I didn't leave her with anyone else until she was 2.5yrs.

-Angela
#9 of 9 Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM

LIke Angela said, if you don't want to don't, but be okay with the fact that if you don't you may never. I personally will never NOT intro a bottle again. Let's just say a bottle a couple times a week earlier in our relationshi9p probably would have said us from being on a g-tube now...We're an extreme, but I like to plan for emergencies. With DS it was major surgery at 8 weeks, with DD it was a need for medical food my boobs couldn't provide. She still hates bottles 3 weeks post weaning. I wish we had intro'd them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page