what does mastitis feel like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help. I have nursed four babes and never felt pain like this. I have no experience with mastitis so I don't know if that's what this is. Maybe some of you experienced in mastitis can help me?
It started 5 days ago. We ran errands all day and dd (1yr old) nursed less than usual. I came home feeling a bit full and sore on my left breast. Over the next few days the soreness came and went. Yesterday I noticed a lot more pain and it was localized all on the left where my breast attatches to my armpit. All along that side was sore. Last night I started feeling the tiniest bit "flu-ish". So, I decided to go to bed with the kids at 8 and get lots of rest. When I removed my bra for bed the pain of my breast weight falling was almost unbearable. All night, the pain kept waking me. I have some bruising type markings in that area, some heat, no fever, and it feels like one big bruise there. I do not feel flu like this morning. I ran hot/warm water on it in the shower which didn't seem to do much this morning. Is this mastitis? What do I do?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Hi!!

I had mastitis several times. It starts out with pain during letdowns. Then you feel tired. Then the affected area of the breast gets sore, and very full. Thats pretty much just a plugged duct. Then the pain, redness, hardness from engorgement, and fever sets in and it is pure misery from there. Latching is pretty painful on the affected side. I never had bruising, but that could be how you are showing the infection. I had reddish/purplish area's around the infected area. I also had the heaviness you described. It sounds like you have the beginning of mastitis. Hopefully with lots of rest and nursing you can fight it off. Good luck. I hope that you don't end up with a full blown case, it sucks! The one time my temperature was 103.6 after taking both tylenol and motrin. The other times it wasn't quite so bad, it was 102ish before taking anything and it would go down to the 99 range with taking something. I took Keflex 2 of the 3 times and it worked real fast, within 16 hours or so. The other time I took Levaquin and that worked fast, too. I hope you are feeling better soon!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:03 PM

If your baby isn't willing to nurse as often as necessary, I have an extra pump I can lend you. (hospital grade, I have an extra flange but it would need to be boiled before using)
Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gooey RN! Iz really nurses all the time. It's just when we go out for the day, she doesn't like nursing in public. Now that we're stuck at home : I'm getting in lots of nursing time with her.
Hopefully I can stave off the infection before we need antibiotics!!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Are you feeling any better yet?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm taking loads of VitC, dh is picking up some cabbage on his way home, and I"m using hot/cold packs. We'll see how the next few days play out. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM

How are you feeling now?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 PM

this sounds a little like what I am experiencing (just started new thread). I have had mastitis and it doesn't feel like this... how are you doing now?

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

User Tag List