A Fenugreek question. Biotin in Fenugreek? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am trying to increase my milk supply a little. I decided to try Fenugreek but am not sure how much to take, also the Fenugreek that I got from the pharmacy has biotin in it. Is that ok?? Every capsule has 300mg fenugreek and 100mg biotin is it still ok to take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 PM

kellymom.com has great info. I took it for a while when my ds was born, I think I took 3 capsules 3 times a day. Also, oatmeal works great for increasing milk, and I hear that blessed thistle is good to take with the fenugreek. Happy lactating!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Hi, I am trying to increase my milk supply a little. I decided to try Fenugreek but am not sure how much to take, also the Fenugreek that I got from the pharmacy has biotin in it. Is that ok?? Every capsule has 300mg fenugreek and 100mg biotin is it still ok to take?
Jezzy,
Links below.

Generally you need to take enough Fenugreek to smell like Maple Syrup. The Kellymom article I've included gives dosage info. However, from what I've read elsewhere you may need more than the maximum dose the Kellymom article suggests.

I did a little research. Biotin is a B vitamin. B vitamins can boost supply, especially if you tend to have a deficiency. It looks like vitamin B is water soluble so you are less likely to take too much. However, I seem to remember reading that too much vitamin B may undermine your supply.

Kellymom - Fenugreek
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

Kellymom – Daily Dietary Reference Intake
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...able-teen.html

Kellymom – Vitamins and other supplements for BF’ing moms
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...-vitamins.html
What if I would like to take extra vitamins or other nutritional supplements? Is this safe? … Water soluble vitamin supplements (e.g., B vitamins, vitamin C) taken by the mother usually increase breastmilk levels. Breastmilk levels of some water soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C, only increase up to a certain point, then remain steady – even if mom increases her dose.

HTH,
~Cath
#4 of 4 Old 02-21-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cath!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page