Toddler Nursing Issues: Teeth marks and blanching - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
For months now I have been dealing with latch issues with my 17 month old. It is worse on one particular side. I came here when he was around a year complaining of blisters on my nipple and got some helpful tips which did make a difference for a while. However, now I am basically always dealing with some level of nipple trauma...it gets worse for the weeks up to and after getting a new tooth...then will start to get a little better...then gets bad again.
When he unlatches there are indentations from his top teeth right where the nipple meets the areola. Also the nipple is white and slightly pointed. I've done research on LLL and kellymom, and it sounds like this issue is not altogether uncommon with toddlers. I am pretty sure the root cause is shallow latch...but I am having a very hard time correcting it.
Aside from overactive let down we didn't have any breastfeeding issues during infancy. I saw a lactation consultant a few times early on and his latch was always deemed "perfect" right from the beginning, but ever since he got teeth (around 10 months) we've had problems.
I know that I need him to take more aerola in his mouth, but I'm struggling figuring out how to get him to do this.
Any advice is much appreciated!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#2 of 3 Old 02-25-2008, 01:27 AM

Oh, I was so excited to see this post! I am going through the same thing with my 17 month old--literally as I type. (One finger typing...) I was hoping someone would have some words of wisdom...my nipples are so sore! She nurses to sleep every night, but it doesn't seem like I can make it until she's asleep enough to put her down. I just tried to put her down too early, and had to start all over again.

Ouch! I think it started for me when she got so wiggly, and wanted to nurse in all these odd positions--and top top it off, she twiddles the other one, and if her nails aren't short enough...But if I don't let her twiddle--no sleep.

I'm rooting for you momma. I hope some wise woman comes and answers this question soon!
#3 of 3 Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi lilylady!
I guess we aren't getting any responses here ...maybe I will try cross-posting in Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy.
There is some good information on kelly mom kelly mom teeth scraping
kelly mom blanching
If you click on some of the additional information links there are also more good suggestions...

I have been asking my son to make a "big mouth" to get his latch deeper, and that is helping a little bit.
Poor you also dealing with a twiddler, I am thankful that we at least don't have that going on.
Good luck!!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page