Third nipple - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-03-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, here's the story. I have a third nipple. Yes, a lactating third nipple. With my first, I leaked a LOT of milk out of said nipple, probably enough that if it were big enough, I could have fed off that one :P.

So, here is my question - what can I do about this? I have baby2 due in August, and I've left a message with the local (only) LC, but haven't heard back yet. I asked my doctor about it, and she said what I can do is press my finger over the nipple and it'll eventually stop lactating. Is this true? It sounds/seems like it would be a painful way of doing it. I am not sure if it impeded my ability to breastfeed the first one (along with a bad case of PPD), but I'm doing everything I can to prepare and to be successful with nursing.

I appreciate the help, in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 AM

In short -- no.

I have over-supply and my babe is now almost 13 months old. I *still* have issues with leaking. Every time my LO nurses, I put the palm of my hand over the unoccupied nipple to stop it from leaking all over my shirt. Sometimes it works -- sometimes it doesn't. You can use this technique to keep it from leaking, and it may eventually stop leaking as your supply adjusts.
#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 AM

Ooo, if you had twins this time, you'd be set for nursing all three kids at once!

If you don't get engorged there I shouldn't think it would hurt to stop leaking with some pressure. I don't know that it would prevent future leaking though since pressure is the basic concept behind the Lily Padz and by all accounts those only stop leaking while worn.
#4 of 4 Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 AM
jkb

I had one, too! Stranger still, it was in my armpit, which apparently contains quite a bit of mammary tissue. I did what your doc suggested: putting my finger over the outlet (luckily for me just one) and massaging toward the nearest breast as the babe nursed. The idea was that if there was any connection between the two, hopefully the milk would go that way, and, if not, it would dry up. It did after 4-7 days, I don't remember now, and it wasn't any more painful than just being engorged was. I've been nursing for 7 months successfully, and I haven't heard from my 'left nipple' since.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page