Mothering Forum banner

Lingering pain after bleb?

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MomAndOliver 
#1 ·
Anyone had lingering pain in their breast after a bleb/milk blister?

I first had pain in my left breast ~2 weeks ago - thought babe was latched poorly, so I relatched. Several times. Finally woke up enough to see the bleb. Started the soaking treatments and kept nursing that side.

A couple of days later, the other breast started hurting, too. I had thrush for 4 months, so that was my first thought. I started treatments (GSE tablets and washes, off sugars and dairy, doubled my probiotics) and had a good cry about going through hell again. Then AF showed up and the thrush-like pain went away. Hooray, it's not thrush!

But now, while the right (non-bleb) breast has been pain-free for over a week, the left breast (that originally had the bleb) is still sensitive to touch (rubbing shirt!) and painful at latch-on. The bleb appears to have resolved - milk is coming out of the spot where it was. But that spot is definitely sore to touch and rest of areola/nipple is not. And there is a bit of tenderness deeper in the breast, but not where I'd think the duct leading to the bleb would be.

Can I expect that the pain will eventually resolve itself? Or should I be worried that the duct is plugged further down (there is no heat/lump)? Worried about possible mastitis? Could it be something besides duct issues??

See less See more
#2 ·

Noticed last night that initial latch-on isn't too painful, then it HURTS for about 10 seconds, then it's just uncomfortable. Definitely not the "oh, is there a baby on my breast?" feeling I'm used to

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

Noticed last night that initial latch-on isn't too painful, then it HURTS for about 10 seconds, then it's just uncomfortable. Definitely not the "oh, is there a baby on my breast?" feeling I'm used to

perhaps you should consider seeing korin (or if she is unavailable, i can refer you to someone else) for ultrasound treatment of the breast to release any possible plugs. i'd also up the fish oil, or start taking it if you don't already, as that can really help with nerve-related healing. but if its hurting a few seconds into the latch, it sounds like that's related to let down? and that does imply a possible plug to me...

i might also try tincture of myrrh - 2 parts water, 1 part myrrh, swabbed on nipples and areolas 2-3 times per day - it is antimicrobial and antifungal and if there is any residual infection of yeast of bacteria, that should help...

sometimes deep breast massage and hand expression - vigorous and sometimes painful - using a lubricant of some sort for your hand - can "strip" the ducts of any congealed milk, yeast, or other plug and get things flowing well again. let me know if you want instructions for how to do this....

#6 ·
I was reading the thrush support thread and saw you had posted a lot. I was wondering how some of the moms are doing since they aren't posting there anymore. I am battling it now....yuck....I hope yours isn't coming back. I would err of the side of caution and keep up the no sugar diet and vinegar...ect...When I started having problems, it was only with milk blebs. I kept getting them. They would go away and come back until I knew something was wrong. Anyways, let's hope it's not that....I HATE THRUSH, and I don't trust it to ever be gone, just sits there waiting to ruin our life again.

#7 ·
This is exactly what happened to me! I had a lot of trouble with persistent blebs the first year my son was nursing. It was exactly what you described - I would think the bleb was gone, but there would still be pain when he latched on. The best thing I found was using a hand pump. There were still partial clogs in the nipple, I think - not clogged enough to lead to mastitis, but clogged enough to hurt. The pump focused more suction directly on the nipple than my son did when nursing, so it was better at clearing the nipple. I just used a little Avent hand pump that I had, nothing too fancy. Used it a couple of times until it cleared up. It cleared it up pretty quick every time. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.