nursing baby with overbite - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-06-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been looking at Henry's mouth and he has a super overbite, which I thought was weird at first but his bottom gum does not match up with his top gum. I talked with my FIL and he said that my dh had the same problem and they had to get it corrected when he was older. So I am wondering if this could be the reason that he has such a crappy latch, and the reason he clamps down and bites.
He eats fine, he has gained 2lbs in his first month so I am not worried about gaining.

anyone know of a baby with and overbite?

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#2 of 5 Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a baby (now she's 5, wow time flies) who nursed really well with an overbite. She had such an overbite that her bottom lip would be right inside her mouth, man was that cute!! She still has an overbite, and it's still darn cute, LOL.

Good luck with the latch though, I wish I could explain how I did it, but it's something that really needs to be shown I think. Maybe call LLL

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2008, 02:23 AM

Newborns have a naturally recessed chin that can look like an overbite. This is normal.

-Angela
#4 of 5 Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 AM

Avraham Tzvi also has quite an overbite, more than the girls did. I think he is tongue tied too, need to bring him in and get checked. He hasn't got the best latch but I can deal with it okay and he's always soaking wet and pooping 10x a day so I'm sure he's eating enough.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#5 of 5 Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM

A recessed chin is normal, but if you feel it's affecting your latch, another thing to consider is letting a chiropractor who is experienced with newborns take a look. Sometimes it's hard for a baby to position his jaw correctly if there's any trauma leftover from the birth. Chiropractic made a very immediate difference with both my children's latches; they could use their faces better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page