Supply Dropping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 4 months old, and the past few days i feel like my supply is really.not.there. The poor guy is so fussy, never seems satisfied, and is refusing me alot, like i have to woo him to the breast to get him to even try now. I feel so bad for him, and i'm starting to feel like a failure, b/c i can't feed my baby. It doesn't help that my sister keeps saying he'd just rather have a bottle (she formula feeds, doesnt think breastfeeding is worth it unless its easy)
I don't know what to do, i don't want him to be hungry, but its like every day is a struggle for us, much more so the past few days. But this relationship is sooo important to me, it makes me cry to think of giving it up.
I also have masitis again, on one side, and it seems like AF keeps trying to come back, although nothing much yet, so i know that can be affecting things.
I need encouragement ladies....and ideas....(i should be getting more mothers milk tea as soon as someone crosses the border to get some for me!)

Living and learning with my four young ones......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Do you cosleep? Can you increase night feedings? Seems early for your AF to come back...perhaps you are not nursing enough at night time? I think i was told on here before that when you nurse enough at night, your hormone levels stay where they should be to not have your AF start. My ds is 7 months and my AF hasn't started back yet. Anyway, I hope that is somewhat helpful advice...and you're right about AF possibly lowering your supply so that is why i was trying to explain the night nursing increasing thing...i am aware this post makes hardly any sense and is full of grammatical errors...i'm trying to NAK, eat dinner and have a convo with the dh while typing this! lol!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 PM

4 months can be a fussy time. How many times does he nurse during the day? At night? How many heavy wet diapers is he having in 24 hours? How is his growth? Here is some info from kellymom about supply in an older baby: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

Keep nursing and your supply should increase to fit your baby's needs! If you are getting enough pees and he is growing well (about 15 grams a day, or about 4 oz a week) then you have enough milk.

And just to check to be sure, have you started anything new that would decrease your supply lately? Birth control (pills or hormonal IUD)? Taking any cold meds? Eating a lot of mint, or parsley?

And cheap ideas to increase supply: nurse nurse nurse, oatmeal a couple of times a day, and keep hydrated.

Good luck! (And don't listen to your sister!)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replys ladies, we do cosleep, and he nurses alot at night, at least every 2-3 hours. He went for longer than that a few weeks ago in the early evening, but then went right back to all night nursing lol
we nurse on demand, usually over 8-10 times a day, really for the most part he nurses every 2 hours, going for 3 hrs maybe once a day (twice max)
and yes he has enough wet dipes and poops, and he seems to be growing well, and is very alert. he is about the same size as his sisters were at this age (although they were formula fed by this time)
oh and no to b/c or mint/parsley, nothing i can think of thats decreasing my supply, andi have no idea why AF keeps trying to come back, she hasn't been successful yet, just spotting, but its really annoying (although i am ususally pretty fertile, so its not surprising i'd be one of the unlucky ones
thanks for the link!

Living and learning with my four young ones......
Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM

Some women get AF a lot earlier than others, even with co-sleeping, no pacifiers etc.

It sounds like this is just a fussy stage - maybe a growth spurt? - and you'll nurse your way through it soon.

User Tag List