Mothering Forum banner

I. Can't. Breathe!

586 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mclisa 
#1 ·
I have low supply and am really careful about meds, but my seasonal allergies are horrible this year. This is my worst year EVER. I need an antihistamine...NOW. I can't breathe I can't breathe I can't breathe!!! My sinuses are swollen shut. This is awful. My head is about to burst. I even had to fly on an airplane yesterday. It was hell! And I'll probably have to take another plane trip in the next few weeks. I know it's seasonal and will probably be over in a few weeks. I'm tempted to take the Zyrtec-D and just hope and pray my supply rebounds. (although not likely)

I've tried nasal spray, but it's not working.

#4 ·
I think antihistamines are fine... it's the decongestant you have to stay away from for your supply. Can you try regular Claritin and a neti pot?

#6 ·
You can google it to find out more, but it's a little pot (I think it looks like a cross between a teapot and Aladdin's lamp), and you put warm saltwater in it and flush out your sinuses. You sorta lean your head to the side, pour the water in one nostril and it comes out the other side. I know it sounds really gross, but a lot of people swear by it. It takes a few tries when you're really congested, but it's a natural approach to clearing out your sinuses and giving them a chance to settle down and heal. Many users say that they feel better than they have in years after using the neti!

#7 ·
I dont have a neti pot for flushing my nose with salt water - I use a regular plastic basin (clean) - any kind you have in your house, as long as you can lower your whole face into it. You put warm water with salt in it, then lower your face so that the water covers the nose, inhale water through both nostrils (I know, it seems like you are going to suffocate, but you won't - it's only one inhalation) then lift your face and exhale, or rather spit out, water through your mouth (obviously, you spit it out into the sink, not the basin). Do it a few times.

#8 ·
I don't have a neti pot for flushing my nose with salt water - I use a regular plastic basin (clean) - any kind you have in your house, as long as you can lower your whole face into it. You put warm water with salt in it, then lower your face so that the water covers the nose, inhale water through both nostrils (I know, it seems like you are going to suffocate, but you won't - it's only one inhalation) then lift your face and exhale, or rather spit out, water through your mouth (obviously, you spit it out into the sink, not the basin). Do it a few times. It helps me when I am really congested (I don't have allergies, though).

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcyC View Post
Thanks...I'll check it out. It would have to be Claritin-D, though.
The D has pseudoephedrine in it, which will knock your supply down for sure. Can you try just plain claritin for a day and see if that helps enough to get things a little under control?

I sympathize with you - I had a nasty sinus cold a couple of weeks ago that woke me from sleep gasping for breath. Maybe a prescription nasal spray with claritin and a netty pot would get you through?

#12 ·
Plain Claritin is like taking a sugar pill for me. I took Claritin D while nursing DS1 and did not notice a drop in supply. I was extremely grateful for the relief. My sinuses were swollen tight . . . so I couldn't get any water through with the neti pot. After I took the Claritin D once, I could maintain for quite a few days after using the neti pot before I had to take Claritin D again. And I was glad to because where I live Claritin D is about $1.50 a pill. Nasal spray was also more effective after one dose of Claritin although they over-dry my nose (neti pot helps the dryness from Claritin).

That's just my experience though.

#13 ·
You might consider getting some steroids and start your nasal spray at the same time. It takes about a week before nasal steroids kick in so you need to start them before your allergy season kicks in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.