HELP! Advices on clogged ducts in breastmilk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi--- I need some advice on how to ease the pain of my plugged or clogged milk ducts in my left breast. It hurts... It started yesterday after I noticed the tenderness and sore. Especially when I touch my lower breast and when my son sucks it... the way he sucks doesn't bother me but I noticed I cannot bear the pain of my breast....

i've fed him 3 or 4 times on my left side of breast and the pain hasn't eased. What should I do? I worry that I can't continue breastfeeding him anymore? I hope it's not the case or that i have infection? It is new to me, I don't recall having this for so long!

It is weird cause he is almost 5 months and this is the first time I experience such discomfort. When I squeeze my own milk, it comes out and the way I touch my breast tenderly still the touch is sensitive and painful...

Please let me know what needs to be done. I have tried to soak a rag in hot water, pressed it onto the breast.

Many thanks
Curly
#2 of 11 Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM

Don't stop nursing!! I had a clogged duct once, it hurts like h#ll!
Do you have a pump? pak, sorry. Here's a link to a great site

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
#3 of 11 Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Daisy-- I have not stopped nursing even though I am tempted to coz the pain just makes me wince. I do have a pump, but I have not used it because I am a full time nursing mama

Will look into the site you've referred.
#4 of 11 Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Depending on where the spot is, have you tried changign positions? You might be able to get it lose if you have your child's chin in line with the spot if that makes sense. Don't stop nursing if you can stand it at all. Try taking a warm shower or soaking in the tub with your baby and let him nurse that way. That might help with the pain.
#5 of 11 Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Get in a hot shower and aim the hot water at the plugged area. Then massage and hand express. Do this several times a day until the clog passes.

-Angela
#6 of 11 Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Have you tried a warm poultice. I used one of warm cabbage leaves and it worked for me. Anything warm would probably work and relieve some of your discomfort. Take a close look at your nipple and see if you can see a plug of dried milk that might be part of the problem. You might want to keep an eye on your temperature. These were my experiences with a plugged duct.
#7 of 11 Old 04-22-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried to look at one of the ducts and see if it's dried up, I can't tell LOL

When I hand squeeze my breast, the milk still comes out yet the breast still hurts It is tender when I touch my own nipple. The pain is on the lower left corner of my breast.

My wee little one juz woke up, time for another feeding. I'll keep on checking for more helpful advices and hopefully it'd be better by the end of today

Thanks again
#8 of 11 Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 AM

palpate the breast - there is probably a hard spot that hurts like all get out - THAT is where your plug is - you will need to as pp have suggested - get in shower with a hand pump and hot water spraying on the breast wehre teh lump is and squeeze it til you get it to move - make like you're emptying a tube of toothpaste. yes, it's gonna hurt like you've never hurt before BUT after you get it out, it won't hurt as bad - jsut be tender like a bruise.

get yourself some lecithin capsules asap, too. take them daily - i take them 3-6x day when i have plugs, about 3xday when i don't. (I'm prone to plugs.)

it's so crucial you get that plug under control because if yu don't you'll end up with mastitis and that is NOT FUN! trust me, you never want to be 'in the mastitis club'. Anyone who has ever had mastitis will agree wtih me that it's better if you never experience that particular opportunity.

((hugs))

try laying baby on the floor and hang your breast over him/her. that might help loosen the plug, too. . baby won't tell anyone that you nursed unconventionally.

bettyann
#9 of 11 Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM

I hope you are feeling better today
#10 of 11 Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hello all

Update as of today--- It is feeling better however it still hurts when I nurse my son.

Happyfrog-- believe me I have tried to palpate the breast by squeezing it out and it hurts soooo much! I can't even figure out if one of the ducts is dried out on my nipple as I watch the milk thrust out lol. I will keep on trying again especially in the shower, perhaps? Also I have never heard of the lechithin capsules? Do you know where I can get them? I think I should get them on emergency basis if I get plugs again which is seldom for me. I don't remember having one its been so long because my 2 other kids are older at 7 and half and 4 years.

Also how would I know if I have mastitis? I am worried if I have it already?

Hippymama-- thank you so much for checking on me to see if I feel better
#11 of 11 Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 PM

HI Curlystar,

If you duct is still blocked, you may be able to get your partner to help you with it if your baby isn't able too, as an adult may be able to direct the suction more accurately.

Also, massaging the breast in front of the blockage (closer to the nipple) may help to move what is blocking "the way out" that will then allow you to move the big blockage.

Keep trying - and I hope it feels better soon! Remember that you can take your regular pain reliever for the pain if that helps you to be able to spend more time massaging or nursing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page