Insufficient Glandular Tissue? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-24-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone dealt with this? Think I might have it, but how can you tell for sure? Did anyone have better luck with kiddo #2, 3, 4 or more?

I'm trying to induce lactation for an adoption, but not having much luck even though I'm doing everything I can. Hoping it would help explain why I had so much trouble w/ dd (and aid in the healing from all the mama guilt I'm still carrying 5 years later) and explain why the re lactation isn't happening.

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#2 of 8 Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 AM

If you Google insufficient glandular tissue, you should come up with a few websites that talk about what 'typical' IGT breasts look like. The only thing I can remember is a wide space between breasts. For me, I'm quite overweight and my breasts certainly don't look 'insufficient' so I haven't found anyone willing to say that I might have it.

I had low (no) supply from the start with my boys and didn't notice any changes with the usual protocol to increase supply. This time I'm taking goat's rue and shatavari, which are supposed to increase glandular tissue. I've noticed positive changes already (I'm not due for another week or two), but that pretty much convinces me.. all the other herbs that are supposed to increase prolactin, etc didn't help me, but the ones that are supposed to increase tissue are already working.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have gotten lots of info off websites, just hoping to find some real people.

Glad the herbs are working for you!

I also took goats rue and had a 2" growth I'm overweight too and my breasts don't seem insufficient but they do seem disproportionately small for the rest of my body. I found a picture here of an obese woman w/ IGT you'll have to scroll down towards the bottom left.

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#4 of 8 Old 05-25-2008, 05:54 PM

Unfortunately from the reading I've done, you can't really determine IGT, it's just something dx on symptoms. This is what I've decided I have and why I had such a hard time bfing and why all my kids had to be supplemented. It didn't get any better w/ any of my kids, though Evan was more willing to nurse for hours on end b/c of his reflux and that seemed to cut down some on the supplementing.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 8 Old 05-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Amoreena,
:Please Stop the guilt this very minute.
Not for one minute more are you to make yourself feel bad about your breasts and what they can or connot do, you have a real medical physiological issue.

Insufficient glandular breast tissue is pictured in my human lactation textbooks as one of the known reason for difficulty lactating.

Have you had your hormone functions checked lately. The human body is all connected. Go see the best and most expereinced IBCLC in your commuhntiy, better yet see one that is also an MD you will learn so much.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hreadid=110168
This a thread on Motheing about IGT.
#6 of 8 Old 05-25-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

IGT seems to be the only thing that really explained what happened w/ me (no breast changes, no engorgement, etc.) It is actually reassuring to think maybe there is a reason I failed at BF--it's not just that I didn't try hard enough

Seems difficult to say for sure that's what happened, though. I am working with an IBCLC and would like to check out the hormone thing just to be sure.

What about insulin metabolism & bf--isn't there some correlation?

Thanks for the link, I'll check out that thread.

#7 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenajo View Post
(no breast changes, no engorgement, etc.) It is actually reassuring to think maybe there is a reason I failed at BF--it's not just that I didn't try hard enough .
Work on being easier on yourself. Stop making yourself miserable if you have a medical condition you are NOT to blame yourself. You did nothing to create this issue!
You have done nothing wrong, you have not "failed at Bf".
You get to define your breastfeeding success, no one else decides that for you! If that means having your baby suckle and nurse on your breast with the lactaid that is your success.
:
#8 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenajo View Post
What about insulin metabolism & bf--isn't there some correlation?
I've heard about people taking Metformin and noticing an increase in their supply. I read through the huge IGT thread that got bumped and wrote down a few things to ask my OBGYN after the baby's born (I'm seeing a HB midwife right now).

The things I haven't tried that I'll look into after reading that thread are a B complex vitamin (with Inositol?), flax seed oil, natural progesterone cream, calcium supplements, and Metformin.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page