Allergies, or foremilk/hindmik imbalance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me. My LO will be 4 months on Tuesday. Since she was 3 weeks old, she has had colic, to where the doctor would say "the upper end of colic". The doctor and everything I have read suggested that colic subsides around 3-4 months. Well, we are nearing the 4 month mark, and while I see some improvement I just don't see it ending anytime soon.

Recently, within the past 2 weeks, LO's poops have become green and mucousy. Doctor isn't concerned. I have tried block feeding for a week and that hasn't helped. Her poos are also explosive and smell bad - not sweet smelling, but foul with a rotten egg quality. Also, there are hardly any seeds to it - I haven't seen a yellow seedy diaper from her in weeks. She usually has one big one in the morning, followed by 3 more during the day that get smaller in size, and less mucousy. (Doctor thinks that's normal or something I ate. Also thinks a dairy allergy would manifest as a skin problem first.) I am on day 9 of eliminating dairy from my diet. She is smiling more now but the green poos remain. She sleeps from 8pm to 11pm, I feed her, and then she is usually up every 2 hours - what seems to wake her up are gas pains. I've tried Mylicon, gripe water - all that. Nothing really seems to help. She is a drool bucket - but that started at 2.5 months - doctor also thought she was swallowing drool - leading to mucousy poos. But the poo thing just started the past few weeks. No teeth yet. She has a rash on the inside of her butt cheeks - you have to spread the cheeks apart to see redness, but it's not a "ring" it's just generalized red on the inner cheeks.

Anyways, due to my DH changing jobs, my LO's insurance will change, so we will be seeing a new doctor on the 18th which is a blessing in disguise hopefully. Should I be more adamant with the new doctor about her symptoms, or does this seem normal to you? What should I be suggesting to the doctor if anything? Does this seem like foremilk/hindmilk issues, or some type of allergy/intolerance? I EBF about every 3 hours.
#2 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 PM

I don't know that I have much advise, but my dd has the exact same symptoms + little spots of blood in her stools that began to appear after what you describe had been going on awhile. My guess is that it is more likely an intolerance than hindmilk/ foremilk issue based on these things 1) block nursing hasn't helped and 2) I read somewhere on Kellymom (I've tried several times to find it since but haven't been able to) that a h/f imbalance will result in green frothy stools where an allergy or intolerance will result in green mucousy stools.

I'm glad you mention the odor - I brought that up to my dd's pediatrician and she didn't know what it was. She said sometimes blood (like lots - more than we think is in my dd's diaper) can be foul smelling.

I also was talking with my dh's cousin's wife who is a family practitioner. She said stools are okay if they are any of the earth tones. She looked at one of my dd's diapers (filled with this neon green watery, mucousy nasty looking poop) and didn't think it looked bad. I was surprised and not sure what to make of it.

Anyhow, good luck. Hopefully we can both find the answers for our LO's soon.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#3 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 PM

4 months is young to cut teeth... but dh got his first at 4 months. some say the teething diarhea is bunk but my son had wicked, runny, explosive, foul smelling green poo before getting new teeth. so that could be it... ds didn't get his first tooth till 9 months but he was on bm only at that point - still got the weird green poo.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#4 of 13 Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM

I am also struggling with this issue. It is all I think about most of the day and I cannot seem to get any answers from anyone.

My son just turned 2 months yesterday and also nurses every two to three hours morning and night. He was admitted into the NICU on the second day of his life. I was asked to pump since I was very adamant about not wanting him to have formula. I went into the NICU every 2 hours and fed him and pumped on top of that. The nurses there were very bossy and had me feeding him on each side for 15 minutes only. I would tear him off after 15 minutes and move to the other side while he was in the NICU. This was so foreign to me since with my previous son I had naturally nursed on one breast each feeding but I thought the nurses probably know better..... I waited it out a few weeks and went back to nursing on one breast at a feeding and this worked. I know that his initial problem was from oversupply cause everytime he nursed he would choke and milk would just be pouring out of my breast when I took it out of his mouth.

Anyways, I just recently eliminated dairy from my diet because my son was having normal poops for about a month now after getting back to block feeding. I would occasionally see mucous but no blood and the doctor told me that was ok as long as I saw no blood. Well about a week ago I spotted very small amount of blood in his diaper and showed my husband and a friend who was visiting. They told me I was crazy and I had to get the flashlight out to show them the blood specks. Then about a week later and just a couple of days ago I had another diaper that had about 3 flecks of blood and the seedy stuff is not as present in the diapers. It is almost like a greenish yellowish brown slimy looking diaper with just a few of the seedy looking things in it then the next diaper will be green and frothy.

Like you, I also am not sure if I am making too much out of this and the doctor keeps telling me everything is fine but with his constant groaning, passing tons of gas, and the mucousy looking poop with tiny flecks of blood in his diapers I am worried enough to search online constantly looking for some answers.

I am thinking it is also dairy intolerance but also wondering if the antibiotics he was on so soon during his life might be causing this issue???? I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with giving an infant acidophilus drops???? I am hoping someone will read your question and the replies and maybe have a similar experience that may help us all out. I am sorry you are also going through this but I am also relieved to see that I am not the only one trying to seek out answers for these symptoms.

I did find this link on the frothy looking poop I thought you may like to look at. Some of the stuff I have read says it could also be a virus that can cause the mucous. http://www.justmommies.com/articles/baby-poop.shtml

http://www.the-essential-infant-reso...Movements.html
#5 of 13 Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 AM

I hope some of my reply will help all of you.

Blood in stool, no matter how small, is not an imbalance issue. It's usually an allergy issue and usually it's dairy but it could be something else. There can be blood in their stool that is naked to the human eye and that too is still bad. In fact my doc will send me home with a test kit, I take samples of LO's poop and smear it on a card, then take them to the lab and the lab will test for microscopic blood.

If the problem is dairy it can take weeks with it completely out of your diet before you see improvement. Kellymom says up to 2 weeks but in my own experience it was closer to 6 weeks. There is hidden dairy in a lot things so please make sure you read labels and get a list of ingredients that mean dairy.

Secondly check out the allergies forum and also this thread which is for moms who have to eliminate foods while bfing.

Now for my own personal experience: My dd was always high needs. Always fussy, crying, etc. She spit up a ton as well and it had some serious distance on it and smelled nasty. I don't think I have ever seen a normal mustardy seedy poop from her. They were always really mucousy and green...it looked like someone sneezed in her diaper. I can't tell you at all how I figured it out but suddenly, when she was about 3 mos old it occurred to me that it was corn that was bothering her. I cut out all corn, and let me tell you that is no easy task, corn is the hardest food to avoid, it has a list of ingredients that mean corn that is 3 pages long. She improved drastically within days (luckily corn doesn't stay in your body like dairy). But the nasty poops were still there. So I decided to take the plunge and I went on a total elimination diet. This was not easy by any means at all. I ate only turkey, lamb, pears, rice, squash, olive oil, salt and pepper. That's it. Nothing else. And I ate only that for almost 2 months before we reached "baseline" with my dd. It was so worth it though. She improved so much!! No more spitting up and although she is still high needs she was SO much happier! I began adding foods back in very slowly and discovered she is allergic to a lot of things. The biggest being corn, dairy, wheat, and eggs. Also she used to react to oats but she has outgrown that one. It's been 6 mos since I started the TED and 7 mos that I've been without corn which means 7 mos since I've eaten anywhere but my own home or eaten anything that came out of a box or a can. It's hard. I've lost over 40 lbs and I wasn't hardly over weight to begin with. It's been worth it though. She is so much happier. Although I do have to say that her poop never changed. But the doc said since she was obviously so much happier and healthier that I shouldn't worry about it so I don't.

Also one other thought: if you had antibiotics in labor or the baby has had antibiotics it could also be a yeast problem. I believe there is some talk about that in the thread I linked above and also in the allergies forum. That requires a different diet.

I hope I was some help and I hope I didn't too much

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#6 of 13 Old 06-11-2008, 02:21 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I checked out the thread and found it really interesting but could not find the thread on allergies.

I am very interested in that subject, as I had antibiotics about 3 times while pregnant and one of the times was about two weeks before I delivered as I had very bad bronchitus and suffer from chronic sinus infections. I was then given antibiotics in labor and then my son was given three antibitocs in the NICU as precautionary measure.

I am wondering if it is related to the antibiotics, all of them, the ones I took and the ones he was given. All the threads I read seem to have such drastic symptoms with food intolerance or allergy and I am not sure we fit under that label.

These are all his symptoms because I am not sure I posted all of them before. He does grunt and act like something is bothering. He has mucous in his stools, sometimes a little and sometimes a little more and today for the first time he had a diaper with all mucous. His poop still moves between being green and seeding to being yellow and seedy and today for the first time the seeds appear to be less. He is happy almost all of the time and never really fussy. His poo is never really stinky. But he did have tiny flecks of blood two times now.

From your experience do you think that because it had tiny flecks of blood that is definitely an allergy? Or should I keep on searching for answers. Is there maybe another explanation for a tiny bit of blook in the stool? I am so sorry to ask again but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing here and I am so tired at this time of night. I also have another son who is almost four and I run a daycare with 5 other boys between the age of 1 and 4 and my helper went home early today so I hope I am making sense and reading everything correctly.

And thanks again for responding. I was in the process of starting my own conversation when I found Elianasmommy's question that sounded alot like my problem.
#7 of 13 Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 AM

I also forgot to mention that he has gained 5 lbs. 13 oz in the two months since he was born. He definitely has no problem putting on weight. If he had food intolerance wouldn't he be gaining weight slowly?
#8 of 13 Old 06-11-2008, 02:30 AM

Ok. Proof that I am exhausted and need to go to bed. He has gained 7 lbs 13 oz in the two months since he was born. SORRY.
#9 of 13 Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 PM

Honestly, no, if he's happy and growing I wouldn't worry too much about allergies. In my own experience my LO is super fussy when I eat something she is allergic to.

Based on the flecks of blood though I bet that if you cut out dairy, or even just cut out the obvious sources of it like butter, ice cream, yogurt, etc that you may see a difference. It takes a few weeks though.

Oh and the allergy forum is a sub forum under Health and Healing.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#10 of 13 Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 AM

DD had dairy allergies and never had skin problems. We knew because of colic that got worse, not better, and taking out the dairy made it all go away within a week. It may take up to two weeks, so keep going. If she is seeming happier, that was probably as least part of the problem. Unfortunately, there are other allergies, so you may have to cut out other things to see if that helps even more.
#11 of 13 Old 06-12-2008, 03:51 PM

Something to consider for colic is (1) intolerance to dairy or some other allergen as somone already suggested in the thread and (2) imbalance in the gut flora whoch could lead to yeast overgrowth because the antibiotics wiped out all the 'good bacteria'

http://www.happybabyfood.com/newslet...ewsIssue2.html
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080400.asp
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051300.asp
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t080401.asp

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html
#12 of 13 Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 PM

This link says that foremilk/hindmilk imbalance itself can sometimes cause blood in stool http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

I would eliminate dairy as a precaution, though, since that's the most common reason. Especially since you guys had so many antibiotics, that can lead to gut problems and food allergies/intolerances.
#13 of 13 Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I cut out dairy but since I had to travel to a family college graduation this weekend I did the best I could while eating out every meal. It helped slightly but I am afraid that there was alot of hidden dairy in my meals and I could not avoid soy like my Pediatrician suggested until I got home since Soy oil is in everyting that is pre-packaged.

I was so stressed over his diapers and the mucous and again another diaper with blood flecks that I called my Holistic Chiropracter. He tested my milk and said that my son is not allergic to it but that he definitely had a problem with his tummy and the flora. I am now giving him some really good "good bacteria" and will see if that helps.

Again, thanks so much for all the info and even though I did not start this conversation, I have have benefited from it tremendously. I will keep you posted in a few weeks and let you know if it works......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page