Shatavari - does it cause mamma weight gain (plus size mamma -tryin to avoid weight gain while increasing micro supply) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FOr those of you who took/take Shatavari does it cause weight gain in the same way the big doses of domperidone does?

Im really heavy right now and want to get back to my normal plus size self (size 22) and even though I just had my little one 13 days ago - Im not wanting to stay at a 26/28. Life is uncomfortable this curvy :P

With my first daughter - I lost my preg weight basically within the first month and then as soon as I piled on supplements (goats rue, fenugreek, blessed, domperidone, etc) I put on 40 lbs which came off as soon as I stopped nursing.

Any guidance on avoiding the weight gain? My supply doesnt jump all that much -maybe from 5 ounces a day to 12 ounces a day but I was wondering what others experienced

Thanks
Michelle

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#2 of 10 Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 PM

Domperidone causes weight gain?? Someone say it ain't so! I was going to up my dose from 90 to 120 when the new stuff gets here...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#3 of 10 Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM

After the baby, I was so happy to go back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Then I started to take Fenugreek and when that wasn't enough, I took Shatavari which maintained me at 10oz. It worked for a while but then I had a big drop in my supply so I resorted to Domperidone. It worked great and my supply went from 5oz to 15oz but I also gained 10 lbs in the past 2 months. I feel like a fat cow. Now that I think about it, with my first child, I didn't start gaining weight until I went on Domperidone too.

Alot of women have had success with the Shatavari so if it works for you without weight gain, then great For me, only the Domperidone works so I will have to put off my dreams of getting my body back

I am curious though as to why the Domperidone would increase body weight. I have not been eating more, if anything I am eating less.
#4 of 10 Old 06-11-2008, 01:38 PM

well just dandy, this has me freaked out. but what can i do if it's true? my babies need to eat, i need to make about 8oz more milk a day i think, so...

i googled "domperidone side effects weight gain" and i am not finding anything immediately - weight gain is in reference to baby only, on the first page of hits. if it were a bigger problem it seems there'd be more hits about weight gain for mom on the first page right???

i wonder... some women do hold on to 10 pounds of fat while nursing. others lose weight. i wonder if the weight gain is not because of the dom but because you go from a sub-par nursing state to a good nursing state and your body type is such that you hold on to fat while nursing?

could also be that since dom effects dopamine it does make you eat more but the effect is subtle and you don't even know it?

i have been on it a few weeks - well a month actually - can't tell if i gained weight. i don't weight myself much, who needs that kind of pressure LOL

but man... i got so skinny nursing my son. i'd hoped for the same with twins, but faster. so far it isn't happening but i am not exercising and my diet is kind of crappy - i am trying to work on that part to improve my milk supply but obviously with supply issues i am not going to try a weight loss diet. i'm eating coconut oil left and right, heh.

i HOPE the dom doesn't cause the weight gain but if it does, like i said, what can you do? stop it and have to supplement more? quit nursing altogether and feed just formula? the stress of preparing and washing all those damn bottles would probably make me put on pounds just the same.

i stress eat like no one's business...

nak DS S 4/1/11
#5 of 10 Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM

I took shatavari and never gained weight.
#6 of 10 Old 06-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Shatavari won't make you gain weight, at least not in the trails I've seen on the BFAR boards

As for domperidone, we have some theories about why it might make you gain weight. First, it's a digestive medication. Have you ever noticed that about 30 minutes after taking it you feel really hungry? That goes away when you stop the dom -- and you don't get that side effect with the shatavari.

Now, domperidone won't necessarily make you gain weight, but it's likely. For others they don't GAIN but they certainly can't lose any. For me the 10lb weight gain was SO WORTH the extra milk. I went from supplementing 8+oz/day to having a full supply at just over 2 years since my breast reduction. I'm still on shatavari and doing pretty well making milk for my 14 month old.

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#7 of 10 Old 06-12-2008, 03:53 AM

i too have the same concerns about Dom because I am eating less, trying to be careful and yet not losing a gram. I had expressed these concerns in my post on 160mg of Dom because I was unable to find any hard core evidence. But it stands to reaseon that since Dom promotes gastris emptying, one would feel hungrier.

So we should all be careful and eat till just not hungry - not wait to feel full!
#8 of 10 Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 AM

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know you're not the only curvy mama. I just had to get size 26 shorts. That hurts, doesn't it. I'm actually going on a mega-diet soon because my ins. co. will pay for *the* surgery (lap band), but I have to be on a doctor's care for weight issues first, so my ins. co. will pay for all the optifast stuff, too, so I'm going to that, but I haven't started yet b/c I know my milk supply will tank when I'm taking in that little calories.

Good luck, mama!!! And always remember that a healthy mom for life is more important than a year of breastmilk so if you decide that losing weight is more important...you are a great mom no matter what!!!
#9 of 10 Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Thing is, I don't feel any hungrier taking dom... my problem (prior to dom, not on it) is I am NEVER "hungry" but often have an insatiable need to eat garbage. This is really bad lately as we have been trying to find out whether or not K has some genetic issues so I have been stressed to the hilt - add to that caring for 2 two month olds who are nursing non stop ... little sleep... and worrying over milk supply... my eating habits are no better or no worse than usual.

When I was nursing my son I walked a ton and loosely followed the "insulin resistance diet" (it is a book - pretty cheap - very easy concept to follow) and I lost a lot of weight. I think you can lose weight while nursing... but this was once he was a few months old and I had no supply worries...

I'd really hoped to do the same this time but I am just too stressed/depressed/out of my mine to eat right.

But in my case I don't think it's the dom.

nak DS S 4/1/11
#10 of 10 Old 06-12-2008, 06:19 PM

I didn't gain weight taking shatavari, but I sure started gaining when I stopped taking it. So I'm considering starting up again to stop the weight gain and to increase fertility.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page