when formula becomes necessary - which one? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this isn't too intimidating for OP - not that it's not all good info, just : Makes me glad I've had very little choice b/c of food sensitivities!!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 04:37 PM

dollyanna, did you find something that works?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I did get the Babys Only and she's been mostly eating that for the last few days. I ordered the scoops and hopefully they get here soon! I think it was just the Enfamil that was really making her gassy. Too bad, since I have like 4 coupons! I do have some reservations about Baby's only since the first ingredient is brown rice syrup instead of some milk-derived product and that seems a little weird to me, but it's better than corn syrup and it's way cheaper than the earth's best.

The baby gained a lot of weight last week (yay!) so now LC has me back to trying to wean her off the forumula as much as I can. At least this time I have a rented scale at home so I'll be able to tell sooner if she's losing weight again. She also had me order dom - hopefully it gets here soon and I can get some positive impact from it.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
please dont feed young babies formula made from powdered formula. there have been newborns who have died because of bacterias lurking in the powder. babies under 3 months old should be receiving human milk, or ready to eat formula.
This is all well and good and I'm glad you were able to do this. The formula my children need does not come in a RTF, it only comes in powder and donor milk is NOT an option.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM

question about natures one (baby's only):

i really wanted to use it (low supply issues, bad PPD, death of my kitty ... poor coping, all conspiring ... ) but know it doesn't have dha/ara, but they sell a supplement to add. okay, but on another board a woman noted that the amount is so tiny compared to those like enfamil, similac, etc. she seemed pretty keen on that 17mg dosage and i admit i dont know much about dosages of dha/ara -- or if it's REALLY even that big an issue. i know some folks AVOID those additives.

anyone have any answers or research?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html

Note there's also a recipe on that page to fortify commercial formula.

I would recommend looking into milk sharing, too.
milkshare.yahoo.com

I haven't read all the posts but cod liver is what I would use for EFA supplementation. Search on www.westonaprice.org for info on dosage, etc.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM

I just wanted to remind everyone here of the option of donor milk.

Milkshare is a good resource:

http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/

Some people find donors through MDC by posting an in search of in their geographical "find your tribe" area. Others have found contacts through a LLL, local birth center, midwife, or BF friendly physician, or even Craig's List .

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanyh View Post
question about natures one (baby's only):

i really wanted to use it (low supply issues, bad PPD, death of my kitty ... poor coping, all conspiring ... ) but know it doesn't have dha/ara, but they sell a supplement to add. okay, but on another board a woman noted that the amount is so tiny compared to those like enfamil, similac, etc. she seemed pretty keen on that 17mg dosage and i admit i dont know much about dosages of dha/ara -- or if it's REALLY even that big an issue. i know some folks AVOID those additives.

anyone have any answers or research?
Oh yeah - I wondered the same thing. Also, I wondered if the tiny bit of breastmilk she's getting from me might be enough since I'm taking a supplement...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:33 PM

From Cornucopia Institute (re dha in formula): http://cornucopia.org/index.php/infa...ethical-cloud/

While FDA officials had previously noted studies that reported diarrhea, flatulence, jaundice, and apnea in infants fed DHA/ARA-supplemented formula, they nevertheless did not block the use of the oils. That action gave the green light for infant formula manufacturers to add the oils to formula. Today, Martek boasts that 90% of formula in the U.S. contains its patented DHA- and ARA-containing oils.

from kellymom on dha in formula: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...-comments.html

other sites:
http://ncksub.blogspot.com/2008/05/b...nked-with.html
http://www.zimbio.com/Breastfeeding/...rbing+news+DHA
http://www.commondreams.org/news2008/0415-01.htm

The below is copied from the baby's only site, so keep that in mind: http://www.naturesone.com/dairy.php

Baby’s Only Organic® Toddler Formulas do not contain C. cohnii oil (algae) & M. alpina oil (fungus) used in organic infant formulas, which are treated with hexane solvent, acid, and bleach. Parents should be aware of the following:

In 2001, US infant formula manufacturers began adding a novel source of DHA and ARA that is manufactured by Martek Biosciences Corp. This DHA is derived from strains of algae; the ARA is manufactured using a non-toxigenic soil fungus. In 2006, organic infant formula companies began promoting their use of this same ingredient. The following is the manufacturing process described by Martek:

“The oil is then separated from the dried biomass by hexane extraction and centrifugation and/or filtration, followed by winterization. The hexane phase undergoes additional centrifugation/filtration to remove solids then the winterized oil is heated and treated with acid. Subsequently, the oil is treated with caustic, centrifuged, bleached and deodorized.”

Earth’s Best®, the Wal-Mart® Brand, and Similac® Organic are lower in the essential fatty acid, Linoleic Acid; the Alpha-Linolenic fatty acid composition is lower or not stated on the formula labels. These precursor fats are important for the body to convert to DHA & ARA and are critical to brain and eye retina development. In fact, the makers of Similac supported a study1 comparing breast fed infants to three formulas described below:

A formula containing no added DHA & ARA, but contained higher levels of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid similar to Baby’s Only Organic® Toddler Formula.
Two formulas supplemented with synthetic DHA and ARA that contained lower levels of linoleic and alpha-linolenic acid.

The results of this study did NOT support adding synthetic DHA & ARA to formula that contained the higher levels of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid. However, Nature's One® recognizes that some babies may not be as efficient at converting linoleic and alpha-linolenic acid and recommends supplementation with Baby's Only Essentials® DHA & ARA. The synthetic DHA & ARA used to supplement Earth's Best®, Wal-Mart’s Brand, and Similac® Organic infant formulas are treated with hexane solvents, acid and bleach during the manufacturing process.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM

I have read the same thing. Basically this is something that is a massive open study, unknown to the parents. I can imagine in 10 years, maybe less, maybe more, they'll be saying oh, oops, so we found out this wasnt a good idea...

Anyway...from what I've read, the other fats found in formula are used by the body to make its own DHA/ARA. In other words, a normal baby doesnt need supplementing with artificle DHA or ARA. Also, the Babys Own supplement is produced differently. I guess I'd try the supplement if I was worried about it, but take it back out if baby gets gassy/has loose stools/etc.

I really dont know how much a baby is *supposed* to get, so I cant help there. At the very least, yours would be getting some from your breastmilk and be converting some on her/his own.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone ever used bright beginnings or vermont organics? Just curious - I don't see them in stores near me & you can only order them online by the case.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 PM

So, what IS the right way to formula feed. I never thought I would need to know
Old 07-03-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgirl View Post
So, what IS the right way to formula feed. I never thought I would need to know

follow the instructions on the can, use clean water and clean bottles/nipples. feed on cue still.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
Old 07-03-2008, 04:51 PM

do I need to boil the water first?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

I think you only need to boil the water first & sterilize bottles, etc if your child is immune-compromised. Apparently some formula cans tell you to boil the water first, but personally I think that seems kind of excessive if you get your water from a city/county supply that is regulated. I probably wouldn't use well water, though. I just use filtered tap water myself.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Just FTR, I joined Milkshare about a month ago and donated my $15 and haven't heard anything yet.

EDITED: I have now been added to the group--I guess it just takes them a while.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Just FYI for what it's worth.

I used the Baby's Only for about 3 weeks. My baby got pretty badly constipated twice with very hard stools (for an infant) and painful straining/crying. The second time she had blood in her stool. The Dr said we should switch formulas because it might be irritating her.

I was able to find Bright Beginnings organic at a different grocery store in our area (Harris Teeter). She's been on it almost a week now and she is doing FABULOUSLY. Much less gas than when she was on Baby's Only or Enfamil, and no constipation. :

Incidentally, the other thing that annoyed me about Baby's Only is that it tends to be very clumpy and hard to mix.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm really glad you found something for you that works. I was curious about the Bright Beginnings Organic formula, but nowhere around here sells it. You can only order a case online, and that's too big of an investment. Anyway, my son does well on Baby's Only. All babies are different--unfortunately, you never know what's going to work until you try.

I'm glad your baby's feeling better. It must be a great relief.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post

Apparently the verdict is-Enfamil tastes like crap. I've tasted it too and ewwww....no wonder my dd refused to drink it even at 2 days old! lol And apparently Similac is the sweetest and better tasting...but then doesnt that mean a lot of sweetener?

Some people's breastmilk tastes sweet, but mine didn't -- it tasted gross, in my opinion. But DS can't get enough. So I don't think that babies' tastes are at all the same as ours. Sweeteners in formula are more for the comfort of mom, and to get the baby to continue eating it even though it may hurt their tummy. I'm not saying all formulas hurt tummies, I am saying that if a formula DID hurt the tummy, the baby would be more willing to take it if it had sweeteners.

User Tag List