breastfeeding while pregnant-milk drying up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello everyone!
i am around 19-20 weeks pregnant and my 20 month old son is still breastfeeding. he has been my whole pregnancy. my milk supply seemed pretty good up until 2 or so weeks ago. he always nurses when he wakes and when he goes to sleep,some during the night and maybe,maybe 1-2 times a day- depending on whats going on. but now...its like my milk is just gone. when i squeeze my nipples nothing comes out,and i dont see any milk in his drool when he is done nursing. he still wants to nurse though,so i have been letting him,even if no milk is coming out. i feel so bad though,almost like my body is failing or something...i know that might be kind of extreme,but i want him to be getting milk
is it normal for your milk supply to just cut off during your pregnancy due to hormones or something? is there anything i can do to make my milk come back? or do i just wait till the new baby arrives?
does anyone know if it is safe to drink mothers milk tea (by traditional medicinials) while pregnant?
any advice/stories would be greatly appreciated. thank you mamas!
#2 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 PM

I have no experience nursing while preggers but I wanted to say that when I was pregnant with DS it seemed like my whole body dried out. I had no spit, I got constipated, even my eyeballs were dry. I am sure if I had been nursing that would have dried up too. I drank tons and tons of water but it didn't help at all. Are you having any other issues with dryness?

Interested to hear what others have to say....
#3 of 10 Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 AM

It is normal for your milk to 'dry up' at some point during pregnancy. I think it is due to the increased progesterone levels. It happened to me when I was around 5 months pregnant. DD still nursed for 2 months after that. Your ds may keep going all the way through. All kids are different.

Your body is not failing. It is just working hard to grow a new little one.

I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to take fenugreek while pregnant. That is one of the ingredients in Mother's Milk Tea. You could try to eat more oatmeal.

There is some great info about tandem nursing here.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html
#4 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 AM

It happened to me too. My milk pretty much dried up, but 2 year old DD still nursed through my pregnancy and still continues to nurse 5 months after my baby's birth.
#5 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 AM

I'm 19 wks pregnant and nursing a 15 month old. I've been reading what ever I can find about it. I just wanted to add that nursing is more than just giving your little one milk. It is comforting, and gives them a chance to cuddle with you in a way is so familiar and has so much good associated. So Good job! And a strange milk supply is also very normal. I also read that the amount of hormones and the makeup of breast milk changes during pregnancy but that it is not harmful to the nursing little one.

I've only read good things about drinking red raspberry leaf tea while being pregnant. But I haven't researched all of the ingrediants in mother's milk tea. I know there are other supplements that help with breast milk production. I'm not sure what it's called.

My problem right now is dealing with not wanting to be touched and the (feels like) constant night waking & nursing & nipple tweaking...
#6 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 PM

I nursed for entire pregnancy thinking that I must have a least a little bit of milk. After my baby was born, I realize that I had zip. It got completely dried up.... and I didn't even know it.

Milk dried up during pregnancy is the norm. In many cultures, pregnancy is the reason for weaning.

I would subsitute water in a sippy cup for nursing if I had to do it all over again. I was determined to tandem nurse and it turned out to be a horrifying experience for me.
#7 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 PM

i'm wondering the exact same thing! i just found out i'm pregnant and I have a 5 month old daughter who i still want to breastfeed for at least her first year. my ob did mention something about my milk possibly drying up but i havent noticed anything different yet. when i read that fenugreek is not recommended during pregnancy, i wasnt sure what i could do to ensure my milk supply for a while longer. i just want to be able to nurse her till she's at least 1 year old.

i will look into the raspberry leaf tea too.

keep posting if you have any other info!
#8 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM

My milk dried up when I was about 5 months, and Jordan nursed for a month or two after and then decided she was done. She started back up about a month after Dilly was born, though, and she still nurses for a few minutes before bed.

So though your milk might dry up, it will definitely come back.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#9 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Motherlove makes an herbal supplement for pregnant nursing moms... More Milk Two, I believe it's called. I've really liked a few of their other products, though I have no experience with that one.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#10 of 10 Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Mine dried up at about 19-20 weeks along too. DS was only 13 mos. and I was a bit sad that he ended up weaning but he really was in it for the milk.

Now that they're older, I am so glad my kids are so close in age and although I had a goal to nurse longer for DS1, I think it worked out for the best and he was okay.

Just wanting to put in my 2 cents about being okay with whatever happens. You can't force them to keep nursing.

That being said, I know of people taking the raspberry leaf tea while preg. with their first just to promote milk stimulation and they end up gushing milk, so it must work wonders.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page