breast shield size? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have an improvement in pump volume by changing their breast shield size? I've asked at least a couple professionals if I need a different size and have been told "it shouldn't make a difference...." - so I've wondered if that's the case then why do they make so many different SIZES?!!!!?

In doing my own research tonight, I found pics of how a breast shield should fit properly, and mine definitely seems to be fitting too tightly according to the pics and readings...so I ordered a larger size.

Anyone have experience with this helping?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and while I'll be ELATED if it helps, I will be quite irate with the LCs who've told me it won't!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 AM

I'm interested, too. I have the standard size and a larger size. The LC I talked to said about half of women needed a larger size, and you should get better output. I don't notice a difference, but my output is less than an ounce from each breast anyway.
#3 of 12 Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM

Yes, it really can matter. It can affect the amount of milk you're able to pump. It can also affect your comfort level as well. Ask your LC if she has the little tool that helps measure what size you're likely to need. If she doesn't think it would matter, maybe it's because she only carries one size and didn't realize it could affect pumping so much. Sue
#4 of 12 Old 08-04-2008, 02:17 PM

I went to a larger flange and it didn't help me one bit. I compared the online pics to what I looked like when I used the size that the Medela PIS came with and it looked as though mine were too small. I switched to a larger size and I never got any more output and it actually began to hurt so I switched back. Maybe I got the incorrect size. The flange size I purchased was X-large so maybe I ought to try a large?

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#5 of 12 Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 AM

Yes, I switched to a larger size and it helped a lot. It helped with both volume AND comfort. I think that makes sense. They always say that it's important for a baby to latch over the nipple AND areola, since stimulating the areola helps with the flow, but the standard size shield would only cover my nipple. So, switching to a larger shield, where there is suction on both, helped a lot. And, because the suction was spread over a larger area, it was much more comfortable once I got the larger shield.
The hard thing is estimating which size is best. I just went with the largest size, but it would have been nice to find a guide, since you can't return those after you try them.
Good luck!
#6 of 12 Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Isfa - that does make sense to me too...right now it seems like ONLY the nipple is getting any suction, and it is definitely not very comfortable. In fact, I stopped pumping at times when dd was little because it hurt so much! I ended up ordering the next 2 sizes up...hopefully one of them works, and I've spent so friggin much money trying everything else to make this work I figure why stop now!!?? I'll reply to my own post on whether it works for me or not!!
#7 of 12 Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM

With dd (now 3) I used the shields that came with the pump. Now with ds (5 mos) I'm using 27 mm and although I don't know if I get more milk (I don't pump often) I can say it's MUCH more comfortable. Why not try the next size up and see?
#8 of 12 Old 08-13-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

OK, well I got the L and XL breast shields, and ALL NEW pump parts (membranes, connectors, valves, tubing, etc.) - and I did NOT see an increase in milk. But, I think it is indeed more comfortable. Oh well, had to try!
#9 of 12 Old 08-13-2008, 05:24 PM

I felt that it was in my best interest to try anything that might make pumping easier and more effective so i bought the large size as well as getting the soft shield since they both used the same connectors. i found that the soft shield worked quite well and that i had more comfort and higher output with less time at the pump. it was not a staggering amount of milk, but i didnt feel like i was working for it, if you know what i mean. I have heard mixed reviews about these but i have had nothing but good things to say. bad thing is that they only come in one size as far as i know. good luck.
#10 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM

LOL. I just ordered a Large softshield 27mm. Pumps come with the standard 24mm hard. I think the soft will be my saving grace. I'll let you know in a few days.

From what Ive read, it should have 1/2 of the nipple/ areola into the tunnel. Am I right on that?

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
#11 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 PM

With Jordan, I was able to use the shields that came with the pump, and after Dillan was born, I could not understand why I was pumping so little. I watched a video from the Medela website and saw that they were, in fact, way to small. I ordered the Large, and they made all the difference. I am hoping Baby #3 won't necessitate another increase in size.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#12 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 PM

I need larger flanges. I have tubular breasts, so, much larger than normal areolas, and I def. needed the larger ones (the regular ones just rub me raw, esp. after pumping for a while). However, my left breast is slightly smaller than my right, so, I don't get the "perfect" suction on that side....I wish there were something between the two sizes I have...d

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page