milk blister! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
help! i have a milk blister on my left nipple. what's the best way to get rid of it/help it heal?

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobedone View Post
help! i have a milk blister on my left nipple. what's the best way to get rid of it/help it heal?
You can soak that nipple in warm water, or warm oil, just before nursing. Some moms do nipple rolls to try to get it to pop. Others use a sterile needle to pop it. But, be sure to keep it really clean if you do pop it. Increasing Vit C and taking lecithin can help. Hope it eases soon for you.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 AM

Check out kellymom.com for suggestions and details about milk blisters. When I had mine, I found lots of good info here.

Hope it goes away soon.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:35 AM

I really am a fan of lecithin for this.
With my DD I had a recurring blister for around 2 months! It would pop, dry, heal then just reappear like it had never been gone - until I started eating a ton of eggs (a natural source of lecithin) every morning! Ok, not a ton, but 3-4. After being on the eggs, it popped and healed one last time and didn't come back. :

Good luck! I know first hand they hurt!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

i am taking lecithin now!! for sure!! i fell off the wagon but used to take it because i was prone to plugged ducts. back on it as of last night

last night DH helped me pop it with a sterile needle. i was scared but it REALLY helped the pain. it was on the side DD nurses on all night long, so i really needed it to be better before i went to bed!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Here's a link with instructions and info on plugged milk ducts and blisters - it's on the bottom half of the page:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022100.asp

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Thanks for posting this question! I had done lots of research on this since I've had a recurring milk blister for about a month now. I had somehow missed the lecithin idea, so I'll give that a try.

For me, it only hurt the first day. Once I got that duct unplugged, it hasn't replugged. But, the milk blister keeps reappearing and it has made my nipple rather sore...
Old 08-31-2008, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is a milk blister the same thing as a milk bleb? I had one of those and it hurt forever (mainly bc I didn't know what was wrong). I read about a cure on Kelly mom. Soaking it in epsom salts helped and then I popped it.

Hang in there!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:47 PM

Yup, same thing.

Btw, anyone know where to get lecithin? DH was in the US this week and he spent an hour running around and calling places before his flight back today. No one had it or knew what it was (except one place that said they didn't have it in stock). The last place he went to convinced him that lecithin and Lansinoh lanolin were the same thing, so I now have some lanolin that I have absolutely no use for. He did find epsom salt (another thing we can't get here), so that's something at least...
Old 08-31-2008, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok, if it's the same thing, then definitely go to kellymom and read what she says to do. Turn your nipple like you're getting lead out of a pencil (I know weird), but it works!! Good luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 AM

I expect you could order lecithin supplements from an online store (yep, I just googled it and there's pleanty on the web). But you could also just eat lots of eggs for a while - they are a natural source of lecithin and good protein to boot (unless you're vegan or allergic, of course).

User Tag List