Slow v Regular Flow Nipples for 6 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When (or should) you switch a baby from the slow flow to the regular flow nipple? At daycare, my son is only taking two 4 oz bottles (in comparison, I pump 12-17 oz). Would changing the nipple to the regular flow increase his consumption? He has been in a small in-home daycare for about three weeks now, & my dcp has been working on the bottle with him & he has improved - he used to only take 2 or 3 oz at a time. He tends to be a bit of a snacker & is very easily distracted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 AM

FWIW, we never switched to the regular flow nipple. My son reverse cycled from the time I went back to work (full-time) at four months, and he only ever took 6-8 oz. total of breastmilk while I was gone. He did take solids well once we started those at 7 months. He never seemed frustrated with the amount of bm he was getting; he just preferred to get it from the tap once I got home As long as baby is gaining well I don't think you HAVE to switch.
#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 09:12 AM

I have only read articles that recommend slow flow nipples for breastfeeding babies, no matter what the age.

Is he gaining well? Nursing well at home? Making 5 heavy wet diapers in 24 hours and some good poops?

How often is he eating at DC? He may be more interested in taking less volume but more frequently. Here is a great handout for DCP about bottle feeding a breastfed baby:
http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...le_feeding.pdf
#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 AM

My milk let down pretty easy and fast. Both of my dd's would only take a little milk from a bottle and would get frusterated. I tried a reg flow nipple and then they would take alot more. I never had a problem w/ them not wanting me!! So the ??"s are, How fast does your milk let down? Does he have to work hard at getting it from you? You should try to match the bottle nipple to what your body does!!
#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have what probably could be described as a "garden hose" let down – it comes pretty fast & furious – so maybe I should try the regular flow nipple! It was frustrating at first – lots of choking, coughing, and squawking. I followed advice from Kellymom on just nursing on one side at a time & that definitely helped him. I think he is generally getting enough to eat – he has about 5 wet diapers (we use cloth during the day & one disposable at night – the night one gets VERY soaked). Our dcp always sends home 3 wet diapers. He was sleeping roughly 8:30 pm to 7 am, but I think he hit his 6 mo growth spurt this weekend & for the past three nights he has been eating twice in the night (I also nurse him when I get home from work & before bed). He is a lean & very active baby – he has always been a little slower gainer. Our dr gave us the go ahead to start solids, so our dcp does now give him rice cereal w/ bm for lunch (he still takes the same amount of milk from the bottle) & we give him rice cereal for dinner (he nurses the same whether he has cereal or not). My husband was home with him yesterday & he tends to let the boy just nip away at the bottle throughout the day, & he still only drank 6 oz.
#6 of 7 Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM

I had a fast and furious let down and DS never got the hang of using a bottle. It wasn't until just a little while ago that I realized that it was probably because he was just getting frustrated. Fortunately, he never really *needed* to be able to take one (it was for just in case during the couple hours a day DH watched him while I was teaching)

I would try a regular flow nipple.
#7 of 7 Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 AM

I agree with sticking with the slow-flow nips for a breastfed babe...My LO is just now getting ready to swith to a faster flow at 14 mo.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page