Reoccuring Mastitis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister has a one month-old, and this is already her third time with fever/mastitis. She's been on antiobiotic since Tuesday, and she's still struggling with fever (today is Friday). She's ready to give up nursing. She's placing hot compress on her breast/ massaging/ pumping/ and nursing on that side first with each feeding.

Anyone had similar experience with reoccuring mastitis? I keep telling her that things will get better. But will it?
#2 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM

has she tried taking lecithin each day? some women find that they get reccurent clogged ducts or mastitis due to the thicker nature of their milk, and lecithin should help it flow better.
also, is she working with an IBCLC to determine why she is getting mastitis and how she can stop it? i suggest she find a really good IBCLC and start getting to the root of it.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#3 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 04:15 PM

I just posted about my problem in another thread.

At 4 months old and on my 8th case of mastitis, double mastitis twice (only taken abx twice - clearly they aren't working) tell her she's not alone!!

I haven't found the magic cure yet to stop it from coming back.

To manage it this is what I do (in case it helps)

- 1 or more hot showers at day (massage like crazy even if no lump)
- Just before a feed I take a paper towel (or cloth) run it under hot water and stand over the sink and heat/massage the sore spot for about 5 minutes (at least several times a day)
- lot's of rest
- advil for pain if needed
- extra vit c
- drain boob as frequently as possible

These methods have helped all but 2 out of the 8 times....

From what I've read, if you're in the US, ask her dr to culture her milk to find out which bacteria is causing it (strep or staph) hopefully that will help.

Just give her as much support as possible!
#4 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 AM
rn

if it keeps coming back something easy to do is get your milk cultured to see what grows.

you have to be off antibiotics though as they will mask the results.
you could have a bacteria in there that needs a specific antibiotic.

I had this w/ my first dd for 5 months and it was terrible. we finally cultured and after 2 weeks of a specific antibiotic all was fine.
#5 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingmom View Post
My sister has a one month-old, and this is already her third time with fever/mastitis. She's been on antiobiotic since Tuesday, and she's still struggling with fever (today is Friday). She's ready to give up nursing. She's placing hot compress on her breast/ massaging/ pumping/ and nursing on that side first with each feeding.

Anyone had similar experience with reoccuring mastitis? I keep telling her that things will get better. But will it?
Yes!! I had LOTS of bouts with mastitis with my little one. Tell her not to give up hope!

1) Lots and LOTS of raw garlic or garlic pills really knocked my mastitis out whenver I'd start to feel it coming on. I would get that feeling like it was starting to come on, start garlic right away, and never actually get it. PLEASE tell her to do lots of garlic. It must be raw. Or either the pills. If she wants to go the way of the raw type, take a clove, and cut it up into pill sized peices and swallow whole (with a drink) like pills. Do it like every hour if she feels it coming on.

2) Does she have thrush issues? If so, they can cause repeated mastitis if left unchecked, even if the thrust doesnt seem severe. When I took acidophilus pills (the refridgerated type) on a regular basis, I didn't get mastitis as often.

3) GET MEASURED BY A PROFFESSIONAL FOR A GOOD BRA!! The majority of women walk around in the wrong bra size. THIS IS DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR NURSING RELATIONSHIP IF YOU HAPPEN TO ONE OF THOSE WOMEN LIKE US WHO ARE PRONE TO MASTITIS. I can't say the following often enough: Motherhood people are not proffessionals (where I made my mistake with my bra size was listening to them tell me what size I wore...I went months believing them and months getting mastitis). A lot of these chain lingerie stores are not good either. Find a bra boutique and get properly measured. Invest in 2 or 3 really good bras. Don't do underwire bras until you get the mastitis occurrences under control. (She can try a quality underwire nursing bra later after she gets her mastitis bouts under control to see if they affect her or not if she wants to, some people don't have problems with them, some do...) I liked goddess. If I looked at an underwire, I got mastitis, and I wear a g-cup. I liked Goddess because I got the type with no underwire and got EXCELLENT support and my mastitis occurrences dramatically decreased after I switched to goddess in the proper size. When I told my bra measuring lady what size i wore she was like " No shug. You wear this size." I was like....oh. : I was WAYYYY off.

>>>a side note on bras. There are bras that you can use for nursing in. And then there are nursing bras. Cheap nursing bras are basically just regularly cut average bras with cuttouts/latches/hooks etc for easy access nursing. Good quality *nursing bras* are actually made to accomodate all the extra little hidden milk ducts that regular bras may cut off. Cutting them off causes them to get blocked and causes mastitis. Good quality nursing bras may be a bit more expensive. but trust this cheap mama when I say, my goddess was my best friend, and you REALLY need to spend that money for them

Anyhow, I have to say that during the 3 years I nursed my munchkin, I had mastitis at least 10 times (very well could have been more) before I figured it all out. But tell her to hang in there!!
#6 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your support! I'm sending this link to my sister.

SleepyMamaBear, what is lecithin? Where can I buy it?
#7 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 PM

Repeated Mastitis is many times from exhaustion. The body just cant fight everything off when exhausted. It is a way to force the mom to rest more. Is she getting enough sleep and rest periods? I know it is rough being a mom, but I think she has to find a way to get some help so she can sleep and relax on a regular basis. Lecithin is thought to help... Does she have cracked nipples from a bad latch?
#8 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 05:11 PM

You can get soy lethicin at a health food store (and maybe even a big grocery or drug store) and it's pretty inexpensive. It's the only thing that really helped with my repeated bouts of plugged ducts and mastitis.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#9 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well... I'm not sure if she's getting enough rest. I do keep tell her to relax.

She didn't have any latching on issues, sore nipples or cracked nipples. But she did complain right before this Mastitis that she's feeling shooting pains on her breast (not nipples). It was just for few seconds as her let down was coming. After her letdown, the pain went away. So, it wasn't much of a concern for her. I'm not sure if it's related or not.
#10 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingmom View Post
Well... I'm not sure if she's getting enough rest. I do keep tell her to relax.

She didn't have any latching on issues, sore nipples or cracked nipples. But she did complain right before this Mastitis that she's feeling shooting pains on her breast (not nipples). It was just for few seconds as her let down was coming. After her letdown, the pain went away. So, it wasn't much of a concern for her. I'm not sure if it's related or not.
Those pains are common with a plugged duct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page