Mastitis while weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having to wean my 13 month old. Normally I nurse much longer, but I've been encouraged to wean him since 6 wks because of uncontrolled hypertension. I stuck it out and gave him a whole year, but I'm worried about damaging my kidneys if my bp continues to run in the 160/90 range. I take 3 medicines for high blood pressure, but it is still out of control. I am exercising and have lost some weight (I'm about a size 14, but very active), but have been hypertensive since I was 19 and skinny/fit so I know there is a genetic component as well.

Anyway, Gabriel is nursing once in the morning and once at night. Yesterday he nursed in the middle of the night. I got up at 5:15 and went to work (I'm an ER nurse). Around noon I noticed I felt kind of cruddy. By 2, I was freezing. By 6, I had taken Tylenol and Motrin and still had a temp of 101.2 and a heart rate of 114. (And my bp was 168/98 - I soooo need to get on some better meds). I thought maybe it was just a cold or something until someone bumped my chest and I nearly hit the floor. Went to the restroom and half my breast is bright red, hot and painful.

So when I finished my shift one of the docs saw me and started me on an antibiotic.

But what do I do? I know you're supposed to pump and nurse overtime to get rid of mastitis. But I don't want to stimulate more milk production.

Should I pump? Nurse more frequently? Bind them up with cold cabbage?

Help!

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM

If you have mastitis, I would think that for now your weaning goal must take a back seat to the need to empty the affected breast. So pump the affected side, massage it, and use those cold cabbage leaves. Once the mastitis has been dealt with, you can resume your weaning journey, while being vigilant for problems with that breast.

HTH and so sorry you're facing such challenges!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM

Soak breast in super hot water while massaging clog toward the nipple. Yes it will hurt like the dickens but it will help get that clog out! and nurse child with his chin pointing toward the red area.

I have had mastitis more times than I can count and it SUCKS big time! I feel for you mama .

Kim
Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 PM

I do hot compresses and rub the affected breast with castor oil (an emollient, it helps loosen the clog).

I'm weaning cold turkey right now so I'm SO paranoid about mastitis! Eeek!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

User Tag List